down and out

I'm currently in a Computer Programming 2 class. I have to say that I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing and I'm thinking about changing my major (Applied Computer Science)...does everyone go through this?? I'm sure many people stop at this point...but i'm a fast learner. I currently have a high GPA and hate to see it fall.
I'd say being a fast learner doesn't have anything to do with it.
Learning programming doesn't require speed. It requires initiative. You need to be self-taught. If you're learning more from an outside source than from books or your own experience, you're already failing.

If more people learned to first ask themselves and then ask others, I'm pretty sure this forum would be a lot more inactive.
Yeah, something people expect is that computers do things for them.

Unfortunately, programming the stupid beasts is another thing entirely.

Don't get too discouraged. Eventually you'll develop a great ability to learn new stuff if you stick with it. But there is almost always learning involved no matter what the project. Schooling is just the first round. (Kind of like fourth grade: It hits you hard but gives you the basics.)

:-)
Is there something in particular that you're having problems with? There are a lot of people here and a lot of documentation on the internet that we can point you to for the help that you need. Feel free to email me at my public profile email address if you need help with specific assignments. Please don't expect outright answers to assignments though...as Helios mentioned..."It required initiative..." and it would kind of defeat the purpose if we just handed you the answers.

Happy Coding!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.