Library Directory

I am using Visual 2010 and I wanted to download a graphics library but I don't know what directory to save it in and I also don't know what #include to use to use the file. Does anybody know?
It doesn't matter where you save it. Wherever you put it, you'll have to tell the compiler where it is.
I myself am still using VC++2008, so I can't say how exactly to do that..

The include files you need depend on the library you are going to use. If there are any tutorials about using the library, it should be mentioned there.
Ok. Is there a good place to save it? And how do i tell the compiler where the file is?
It doesn't matter where you save it. If you must be told, "C:\name of your library"..
And how do i tell the compiler where the file is?
In 2008 it was Project->properties->C/C++->General->additional include directories (path to where the headers are)
Project->properties->Linker->General->additional library directories (path to where the .lib s are)
Project->properties->Linker->Input->additional dependencies (names of the .lib files that you need)
I'm still confused. I did all that and still it says it can't file the file. I downloaded PNG Writer. I want to be able to use it's library in my c++ program. So I included it (#include <pngwriter.h>). This is all new to me. I just want to know how to add a new library to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and use it.
Are you sure you added the path of the folder containing the header files rather than just the root library folder?

EDIT: Also, are you sure the header is pngwriter.h?
Last edited on
Yeah, i'm sure. I might have messed up when locating the .lib files because I'm not exactly sure which ones those are. I looked for a .lib extension but could not find one.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.