Visual C++ 2010

So I'm having some difficulties with Visual C++ 2010, or so it would seem. I take examples from either the web or the school text for learning this language and consistently I find myself spending more time troubleshooting the errors that pop up than learning anything.....that's a poor way of wording it...Let me give you an example:

1 // Program to add two integers typed by user at keyboard
2 #include <iostream>
3 using namespace std;
5 int main()
6 {
7 int a, b, total;
9 cout << "Enter integers to be added:" << endl;
10 cin >> a >> b;
11 total = a + b;
12 cout << "The sum is " << total << endl;
14 return 0;
15 }

returns this kind of error:

1>------ Build started: Project: Add, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> Adding.cpp
1>c:\users\ben\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\add\add\adding.cpp(2): warning C4627: '#include <iostream>': skipped when looking for precompiled header use
1> Add directive to 'StdAfx.h' or rebuild precompiled header
1>c:\users\ben\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\add\add\adding.cpp(16): fatal error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header. Did you forget to add '#include "StdAfx.h"' to your source?
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I've also received errors stating that CIN and/or COUT are undefined. I simply don't get it. I am following the code exactly and yet these errors persist. Help please!!
When making your project, choose "blank project". Those errors are coming from the compiler looking for precompiled headers, which is defaulted to on in some (if not most or all) of the projects.
I unselected the precompiled headers option, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the help!!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.