Other programming language

Hello all. My university requires me to take a programming language course other than C++. The languages to choose from are C#, Java, and Visual Basic. I have never programmed in any of those 3 languages and am not sure which one I should take...any advice/input on recommendations? :)
Last edited on
As long as you stay away from Visual Basic, you should be fine.
C# is much less portable than Java, but C# has (arguably) nicer syntax and is more fun to use.
you should learn java because its powerful and great for making games + web apps.
visual basic is easy but fun language
I'm in complete agreement with Athar. I picked up Java as my first language, but had to take a course in C# too. I like some of it's features, but for the most part Java is much more portable. The only way you can get C# to run on something other then Windows (.net) is with mono. That being said, I hear C# is used to make XBox indie games, although Java is used to make Android apps, so... Just don't bother with Visual Basic. C# compiled for .net will turn into the same MSIL (CIL) as VB.net anyway.
I'd go with Java.
This is completely subjective so don't listen to anyone when they tell you that a language is 'better' than another language. There's a limit to what can be achieved with visual basic and out of the other two my personal favourite is C#, I agree with Athar about the nicer syntax and I picked it up faster than java too.

To all other posters, although I'm aware this thread will inevitably become a hysterical argument, it would be nice if it could be avoided.
it seems like a waste of time to learn basic when C# is around now. C# would be what I choose. Learning Java at a later date seems reasonable.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.