use vcl or clx?

When I try to make a console program, I go to file, new, other, console wizard, and it gives me the option to 'use vcl' and 'use clx'. I have used the default 'use clx' this whole time and find that some code i find here when copied and pasted will not compile with the errors:
[C++ Warning] Unit1.cpp(113): W8004 'c' is assigned a value that is never used
[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__InitVCL' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\BORLAND\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl
[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__ExitVCL' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\BORLAND\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl

I googled it and it says to check 'use vcl' and uncheck 'multithreaded'

http://www.codepedia.com/wiki/printer.aspx?WikiID=1&p=CppBuilderLinkingErrors 

I also have always had 'multithreaded' clicked(by default).

Any clues on what any of this is or why I would click on any of it? I googled 'use vcl' and 'use cxl', and cant make heads or tails of what comes up.

-BHill
when you get unresolved symbols it means the libraries aren't linked to your code, or couldn't be found by the compiler/linker.

VCL may not have a multi-threads version of the library thus your program will not have multi-thread access. It appears that Borland 6 isn't c++11 yet, which has multi-thread stuff as part of the default library.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.