Need basic C++ compiler/ide for mac. Any advice?

I am taking a introduction c++ course at my local community college. Their computer lab has borland c++ 4.52. I mostly do my work at the computer lab, but the lab is closed during the weekend because of budget cuts and I need more time to work on homework.

My question is:
is there a application similar to borland C++ on mac?

and

Are there any simple C++ IDEs/compilers on the mac os?

I am running Mac OS X 10.7 (lion)

Also I will need to be able to run the code on both windows 7 32bit (college computers) (both 32 bit and 64bit) and mac osx 10.7 (lion)

Thanks!

I heard xcode may be able to work, but I cant fiqure it out.
This might help but i dont know, its called Code::Blocks, its simple and easy to figure out and it works on Mac:

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26#mac
Last edited on
I did check out codeblocks but it didn't work for me. I don't need complicated pieces of software. Since this is just a introduction to c++ class I don't really do complicated code. I just need a software similar to borland C++ on mac. I also don't want to use terminal to compile my programs and I wabnt to be able to run the program on windows too. Thanks!
Xcode. Maybe you should look at some tutorials if it's hard for you to use their interface. I find it quite easy to use.
I just tried XCode recently, to see if my code ported to Mac OS and my god it's awful. Granted I was using 4.x, which seems to be pretty universally hated. If I was working on Mac OS as my primary I would probably use CodeBlocks, Eclipse or Netbeans as my IDE. Surely would not use XCode!
I am trying out Eclipse, but when I try to run the program I get this error: Launch failed. Binary not found...
I use Code::Blocks on my Mac and could not get it to work at first. You need to have Xcode and the developer tools installed on the Mac before Code::Blocks will work. Once you have everything installed, all of these compilers will work. You can download the newest version from the App Store, it's about $5.00 I think. If you search for it on the Apple Developer website, you should be able to find an older free version of it there too.
I have code::blocks and xcode installed. I tried writing code and I think I built and ran it correctly. The terminal application opened and I got this error: permission denied?
Last edited on
bump
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.