For games

Hi

(direct x, open GL, SFML )

What is your advice to me for beginning, and why?

Thanks.
I recommend pushing your own transistors.
Of the 3 you mentioned, SFML is definitely the easiest for someone just starting out.

DirectX and OpenGL both get much lower level and require you to wrap your head around a lot of topics to even do trivial things.
1+ For allegro :)
I started out with openGL. not to make games but I like graphics for output rather than cout'ing everything while learning to program. I chose openGL over directX as I think it is a little less confusing. openGL does not include sound. So for this you have to use some other library. If your general programming skils is a little rusty, I agree with Disch that you better go for some of the easy stuff like SFML or Allegro.
Allegro is pretty easy, the quality just seemed lacking in the different allegro games i played.
I've been learning Irrlicht and it's pretty nice, fast, and easy to learn. You might want to give it a look.

OpenGL and DirectX are what you want to aim for, but if you're just getting into it, then learning an easier API might be a good idea to understand the concepts.

//edited for grammatical issues
Last edited on
i prefer Allegro and SDL...they are easier...or you can use GLUT( OpenGL Utility Toolkit) but as Disch stated it gets much lower level....
Last edited on

Thanks every body for your replies, and I think I have to change the question to

(SFML, Allegro, SDL, Irrlicht ) , and Why?

Thanks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.