Learning how to program from virtually nothing

Over the years (and in more recent months) I find my command of programming is rather limited. I can figure out and program some complicated mathematical stuff because I can get into the proper mindset with some commands but I still lack an understanding of different commands, and concepts (like I have no flippin' clue how to write and or implement a class). I think it may be best to ask for what I should do in the following manner:

Assuming these following basic things are true:
I know how to type, use windows and general commands, can navigate most programs etc.

Pretending I don't understand programming at all, but do have the skills to learn it just as any program.

Pretending I just know that "programming" is just a way how you make a program to run and do things you want it to do, but have no understanding of structures/concepts of programming (in terms of commands and other structural things such as classes).

Pretending I'm essentially a complete beginner and have never programmed.

Where should I start to learn about programming and how to program? As if my mind were a clean slate with regards to programming, hopefully, to where I could be the one giving advice on these forums and to where I could understand any C++ programs I read?

I ask these things because it seems the phrases "I know too much for my own good" and or "My little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" are applicable to me. Like knowing how to take apart 5 different parts of a car, but having no idea how to get them out of the car in the first place to even take them apart.
Last edited on
Waay back when I started, I read a ton of books, and read a ton online, and practiced more than I read.

My favorite book : http://www.amazon.com/Without-Fear-Beginners-Guide-Makes/dp/0321246950/ref=sr_1_28?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325184780&sr=1-28

This site's tutorial is great : http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Once you learn about everything there is to basic syntax, then you can move on to 3rd party libraries (SDL/SFML/OpenGL/DirectX/Allegro/BASS/etc)
You can learn alot from just tinkering with code and a compiler but it will only get you so far and you can't just teach yourself good programming practice and conventions that way.

Before moving on to 3rd party libraries I would consider learning object oriented programming. It's really fun and it forces you to think about breaking down and organizing a problem into logical standalone pieces that can interact with each other and are reusable. It has it's skeptics but it is the way of the future, at least until most programming is done by machines themselves. lol

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.