Programming on vista

Hello ok clearly i am missing something here because i have literally just started programing i have read a few books and i have read through alot of the guide on this website, i have written the codes in and just nothing happens , probably a stupid question but can you do this programming in notepad lol or do you need a special program to write them in or execute them in? thanks
You can write the code in anything. But you need a C++ compiler in order to compile it. Then you can execute it.

Try something like: http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
You can write your code using Notepad, although it is highly unrecommended.

Also note that you would need a compiler to be able to actually run the code.

I suggest downloading: Code::Blocks. It is a free open source C++ IDE.
Hi if ur running on vista first of all god bless ye I was using vista for a while and it almost drove me mad, so many restrictions on what and how u can do ie no premission to write files to the c drive from ur programs...

so check out ubuntu free downloads and these guys will even send u a free disk...

Anyway if your gona get into programming, it will make it so much simpler for u if u use a development enviroment such as NetBeans or Eclipse.
My perfered one Id recomend is by far Eclipse as u can use it for both C++ and Java.

Now i know from my own experiance that, reading a guild on how to install an IDE such as Eclipse can really seem impossible espcially one that supports c++ on windows (classpaths and all dat s**t) and most installation guilds are just a load off b****x which seem to jump over loads of important details and cause more confusion then they help by being so complicated.

So below is a simple clear cut step by step installation process from my OOP lecture's site, none of ur usual confusing b****x which which IT geeks so love, and might as well be writting in binary code, but clear and simply instructions which even i could understand...

http://csserver.ucd.ie/~meloc/30070/practicals/practical1/InstallationInstructions.htm

When you have every thing installed, You will need to create a new project under file selcect "new" and then "Project" (ie C++ or java).

Give it a name ie "HelloWorld"

And then if your creating a new c++ project, right click on ur new project and
then go "new", go "source file" click, and call it ie" HelloWord.cpp" MAKE SURE U ALWATS ADD .cpp at the end so u know its a c++ file, then u could paste in the following:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	cout << "Hello World" << endl; // prints !!!Hello World!!!
	return 0;
}

press "control s" and buildt the project by pressing the icon on the toolbar that looks like
a "hammer", and then running it by pressing the icon that looks like a "green arrow", and u've now compiled n executed ur first program and should of gotten the following output "Hello World" at the bottom of ur srceen, u could then do the tutorial to learn how to build and make classes etc...

best of luck mate :)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.