How much more time until I can make my own game

Ive been learning c++ for around 2 months now and how long will it take me to learn it enough so i can learn direct x also how long will it take to learn that enough until I can make:

1 Simple 2d game
2 side scroller 2d game
3 simple 3d game
4 small 3d rpg type game kind of like the upcoming game cube world.
It's going to be a few years.
You need to master c++ first and then move into graphics. You should start with something easy first, like SDL.
It's very dependant on your efforts and aptitude. It can be done rather quickly but the norm is significantly longer.
Game programming is no joke in c++. You'll have to spend a lot of time and effort to get confident with even the standard library and features. Then getting into graphics is a whole new animal. I hope your math skills are adequate
Yes, games are full of math and physics. How do you detect a collision between two objects? How do you make things move realistically? How do you maintain a constant framerate? ;)
Run through this C++ game tutorial ( http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx ), by the end of it you will have created a simple 2D game using SFML.

If you made it to the end of the tutorial and actually understood what you did, you are easily ready to make a side scroller. Then just keep iterating, you become better by doing, so keep at it, create more and more games and eventually they will become less and less crappy. Then move on to 3D and keep at it.

I wouldn't really bother with DirectX inititally, use a library like the earlier mentioned SFML, or when you move to 3D, something like Ogre3D or Irrlicht. Once you understand working in those environments, then consider creating your own engine using DirectX if you insist.

The most important thing to do is keep at it. Frankly, 2 months is probably enough time spent working with C++ to start trying something more complex. Hopefully that earlier mentioned tutorial will help you in that regard as well.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.