Need Help!!!

I am a complete Newb I am 14 years of age and have ZERO experience in game programming, and yet I would like to start with C++. Can someone tell me The best and most recent book for C++ bearing in mind I won't understand most things with out a solid explination. Please Help.
there's no 'the best'...each one have your own favorite book
i like this
Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures Through Objects 6th Edition

but never use just one book, read more, read websites and the forum
(read and search before post something)

and think more positively
If you want a more simple, clear book I would go with "C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis To Program Design" by D.S. Malik

If you want a more in depth technical book I would go with "C++ How To Program 8th ed" by Deitel

But really, you should start out with a book on programming logic (that's what class they make you take in college before any programming classes) like "Starting Out with Programming Logic and Design" by Tony Gaddis

If you just want to make some simple games and don't care about the deeper technical stuff you could always grab one of the many "Learn C++ through game programming" books out there. I have a few of them and they get the basics across pretty well in most cases.

Though, if you want to make games I would recommend one of the first two books I listed, and then a book on a library API like "Focus on SDL" by Ernest Pazera
Last edited on
also use youtube (=
Youtube search "TheNewBoston" really good for beginners learning multiple programming languages and also "AntiRTFM" for a more insightful description of C++
Last edited on
First thing you should know is that age is irrelevant.

I've taken into consideration the fact that you have no experience whatsoever, and I would recommend the C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition, as well as Effective C++ by Scott Meyers for those extra improvements. In addition, I should bring Absolute C++ and Principles and Practice Using C++ by the man himself, Bjarne Stroustrup, into scope.

Is YouTube a good resource? No. Generally, video tutorials tend to miss out vital information so that the video remains below 10 minutes. I also recommend reading C++ programming blogs[1], [2] for additional improvements, hints, tips and professional and/or expert views.

References:
[1] http://herbsutter.com/gotw/
[2] http://cpp-next.com/

Wazzak
Last edited on
OsiumFramework - I agree with you entirely about the depth and information within good reference and resource books but Being able to see the code being written out and explained in real time can somewhat help beginners grasp some of the concepts which may seem a little daunting at first... atleast its what I do... I read up and if any of it is unclear I will go on YouTube watch a video in real time as it is explained and with the knowledge of what I have already read It becomes easier to fill in the gaps.
True. There's non guarantee, however, that videos and/or books will be 100% compliant with the latest standard. And who's to say that they won't use non-standard extensions? Eyes peeled, lads.

Wazzak
Whats is API?

and Osiumframework do those books cover everything from the ground up...I want to be a programmer when I get older.

are there any other books that I need for programming?.
And also I heard that ''C++ Primer Plus'' is amazing at the start but around chapter 14 and onwards it starts not explaining anything and acting like your already meant know what the words, examples and teachings mean is this true?!

And also C++ Primer Plus 6th edition is out should I get that instead?
Last edited on
Sly UX1XN wrote:
Whats is API? (sic)

It's an acronym for Application Programming Interface[1].

Slt UX1XN wrote:
do those books cover everything from the ground up (sic)

Some do; others assume you know the language and aim to improve your skills.

Sly UX1XN wrote:
but around chapter 14 and onwards it starts not explaining anything and acting like your already meant know what the words, examples and teachings mean is this true?! (sic)

I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Besides, the book is about 1200 pages long. I'm pretty sure it covers almost everything.

Sly UX1XN wrote:
And also C++ Primer Plus 6th edition is out should I get that instead? (sic)

If the reviews are good, then yeah.

References:
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

Wazzak
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.