I want to do C++ as a first

I have been completely convinced to do C++ over Java as a first language because ive been looking over all the websites and its said that C++ builds the best programming foundation, easier to understand for beginners, and even better is that it makes learning new languages very easy. Its said that Java is a real pain for beginners and is too complicated

Please link me a C++ IDE/developing tool and the best C++ tutorial for those who start C++ as a first language.

Btw would it be possible to re-create the Minecraft source by using only C++?
I think you have it backwards.

(my opinion!!!)

Java is much more effective at portraying the object oriented approach to programming then c++

c++ syntax in itself is a bit more cryptic than Java.

There is no best tutorial. There are tons of youtube tutorials if you want to explore the language, for recommended reading for the total beginner I'd say C++ Primer Plus 6th Edition by Stephen Prata. (cplusplus.com also has its own set of tutorials)

& finally

Yes - but this kind of thing is a few years off (at best) from where you are right now.
Last edited on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVhn0FWWB4 c++ video tutorial series, I recommend it.

take a look at Code::Blocks, IMO the best free c++ IDE out there.

I don't know much about java, but I think it is pretty similar to c++, I'd say pick whichever language you'd like to code in, rather than which language is easier, I picked c++ because most pc games use it (i.e all those big title games) whereas java is more about cross-platform gaming in the browser, even though you can still run it out of the browser.

at least, that is my view on things.
Last edited on
@georgewashere Ill try the tutorials and ill try to find the tutorials on this website also.
"c++ syntax in itself is a bit more cryptic than Java." I don't really know what this means since I'm such a noob :c I might google what this means later

@Zephilinox I'll try it and yes I just got that IDE installed :)
In the far future I want to be a gaming programmer and I hear the many of the First-Person Shooter such as C.O.D and halo use C++, another great reason I want to learn C++ is that I hear its a great foundation language and after the "mastering" of C++ it will be easy to learn new languages.

These videos look like exactly like what I'm looking for :D

Btw I'm only in 8th Grade.
Last edited on
Yes, if you will be able to learn c++ you will be able to learn any high language. But if you WILL learn c++. It is much more difficult than other languages (I think).

But I think here are nothing impossible if you really want it and do it.
C++ was the first language I started with myself and I am now branching over to Java. There are similarities between C++ and Java but I agree with georgewashere that Java portrays the object-oriented style to programming more than C++. Really, though, it does come down to which language you prefer to start with. There are several good books that will help you learn this language. One that I used was C++ Without Fear. I can't remember the authors name but you should be able to google it. The other I used which teaches you the fundamentals to this language also is Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. You should be able to find these in pdf form online. Hope you enjoy your programming quest.
C++ is a very difficult programming language but it's not impossible to learn and to understand, it's just difficult (especially if you want to learn the API part). Try to learn as much as you can, to read many books, to see many videos. But with ONE condition: try to think what it sais there and try to compare them. And, yes, that's right: if you can learn C++, you can learn any high level language, like C#.
P.S. the hardest part in programing are not to learn programing language, but to learn programing. It is to learn how to think as programmer and algorithms (to find solutions to problems).
Learning a programming language is only half the battle. If you want to write games you'll need to get a very good math background as well. Furthermore, to write anything "particularity interesting" you'll have to learn some APIs (or some framework or something that builds off of an API...like MFC or something).

But I commend the idea, I learned C++ back when I was in grade 9, it'll get frustrating (I guarantee this) and some of the math you'll need to learn to program certain things (especially regarding games) will feel overwhelming but if you keep at it, you'll definitely get through it. Learn to think like a programmer...dissect and break apart all large concepts into several smaller ones. (Well, that's what I do)...good luck!~
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.