Learning to make a GUI

I recently started learning C++ but the book I have been teaching only teaches how to make console applications. Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn how to start making a simple GUI. For example a text box and display would be great to just start off. I typically use Visual C++ Express but I also have access to xCode on my OS X partition. I'm fairly new to this so it would be great if you could keep it simple. Thanks!
this is what i am looking for also....

i think people are going to direct you towards addons/libraries like SFML Allegro or SDL

its a pain in the ass to install if your a noob like me

i just heard of NuGet which is supposedly an easier way to install these libraries.

i have no idea how to use it.

i dont know any books on these other than their websites...

only thing i can really do is bump your post :-)
Those terms seem really scary... hopefully someone understands our whims :p
i can refer you to my favorite c++ tutorial channel on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/CodingMadeEasy

i learned alot of allegro from him

but i just recently read that people are starting to use sfml...so i have no idea where to start..

well you know what maybe you should start with allegro because of the channel i gave you.

it has a ton of support for you to learn from.

----
and i know it sounds scary but its not really

Allegro
SDL
SFML

these are just different ways to code things with. Its almost like learning half a new language in way. The syntax is just a little different.
Last edited on
Thanks! I don't know if this is a dumb question... but whats Allegro and sfml?
Depends what that GUi is for, WIn32, SFML, Qt are all good options
Depends what that GUi is for, WIn32, SFML, Qt are all good options

I'm really new to this stuff... could you tell me the pros and cons of each of those? Also which one is the simplest to install and use?
What OS are you programming for? I come from an assembly background and find that the win32 API works wonderfully for this type of thing. But only for windows
I would love for stuff I make to be cross platform but to start I want to use Windows. I tried downloading Allegro but I can't for the life of me figure out how to install it...
Well, WinAPI is good for Generic Forms, only works on Windows OS. QT also is good, but it weights a lot, and it's cross platform (Also works on Linux and Mac).
GTK (GTK++ for C++, GTK is for C) is also good and cross platform but it doesn't "weight" too much.
Then there are many 2D-3D Game Graphics Libraries, like:
2D Mainly:
Allegro, SDL, SMFL
3D Also:
Irrlicht, OGRE, Panda3D

Eventually just google around.
The examples of Allegro seem like it would be really easy to learn. Could you help me install it? I read the documentation but I am really confused on how to install it. Could you run me through the installation please? All I have installed right now is Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2010.
Let me say i don't have Allegro installed.
But there's the Wiki Guide. Just be patient and follow it step by step.

http://wiki.allegro.cc/index.php?title=Windows,_Visual_Studio_2010_and_Allegro_5
But there's the Wiki Guide. Just be patient and follow it step by step.

I love you. I got it installed, this simplified things SO much more then the other documents on their site. Thank you!!!
No need to love me lol.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.