How many pages do you have to read to become a professional c++ programmer?

Hello i was wondering,

I suppose you learn c++ programming from programming... but surely you have to learn it from a book. How many pages do you have to read... 2000... 5000?
also i was wondering, how many percent of c++ have you learned if you learn everything in Stephen Prata's 1400 page book c++ primer?

thanks
closed account (zb0S216C)
You can read 20,000 pages; it doesn't make you a professional. 1 book alone doesn't make you a guru. The books that cover everything (STL, templates, functions, classes, et cetera) usually omits the details, such as where copies are generated, what the compiler can & can't do in scenario X, and so fourth. Some books, however, focus on the details (what's going on "under the hood"), while others focus on making code more efficient and/or flexible - it's those books that get you somewhere.

Wazzak
Last edited on
So it can be concluded that a professional C++ programmer is that who can quickly read!:)
There is a 400 to 500 page book called Accelerated C++. But I heard it was a book for those transitioning for C to C++. But you might want to have a look. Like Framework said, it doesn't matter how much you read.
From my personal experience, its a bit like Math. You learn / read about a new way to solve things. But you are only going to be good at it and use it at your own will and with your own twist , only if you go through the problems, try numerous different questions, and try things outside your comfort zone.
But anyways, good luck
@itchoi09
There is a 400 to 500 page book called Accelerated C++. But I heard it was a book for those transitioning for C to C++.

Accelerated C++ is definitely NOT a book for people transitioning from C to C++. I would categorize it as a book for those with basic programming knowledge (looping structures, functions, stuff like that) but don't know the specifics of the C++ language. It's a good book so far. I'm a little over a third of the way through (it's only around 300 pages), picked it up last week. It goes about teaching C++ in a very different way from most.

Also @Doppler, I would recommend against using your time to read C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata. It is...not the best (even though amazon begs to differ) and kind of teaches C++ using C things, if that makes sense.
Here is a list of good books if you're looking for one: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
scroll down for beginner books.
Edit: Remember though, nothing can replace experience!
Last edited on
What does that say about our education if people think just reading a book makes you professional?
You become a professional programmer when someone pays you to program for a living. Pages don't matter.

Moreover, reading pages isn't synonymous with understanding them.

c++ primer is an amazing series, i've been reading the books and absolutely love it. defiantly consider reading that book!
c++ primer is an amazing series, i've been reading the books and absolutely love it. defiantly consider reading that book!

Personally, I prefer reading "The C++ Programming Language Special Edition" over the C++ Primer.
C++ Primer is a fine series, C++ Primer Plus is not as great. It's alright though.
you will be master of only theory in c++ but not in programing (practice) by reading only pages of books
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.