What is it coded in?

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this but i can't find it on google. I am trying to decide if i should start with c++ or python. I was wondering what is used most today in games, this wouldn't affect my decision too much since i plan to eventually learn both. But i was curious about this.

what programming languages were used to make these games?:

Runes of magic

Pirates of the Caribbean Online (either python or c++ i think they used the Panda3D engine)

Lord of the rings

other games these just came to mind.

If anyone has advice regarding weather i should focus on python or c++ more to start with. (i have done some java before so this wouldn't be my first coding language).
Well, depends. Most* high end games are written in c++. I believe they typically have a scripting language (python or lua) to handle some aspects of the game. Though the scripting portion is going to be dramatically smaller due to the large overhead.
Which of the two would be better to learn first, c++ or python?

For someone who wants to be a game developer?
Last edited on
Game developer is a broad title. You can do almost anything in the game industry.

Anyway, go with C++ IMO. Scripting languages are inherently easier to pick up. I don't even consider them programming (Probably going to incite some flame there). And I highly doubt a potential employer is going to take you seriously if all you have is Python on your resume.

Programming a game takes a lot of optimizations and creativity that you're not going to learn about in a scripting language.
I agree, but my concern is i have read from some places not to start with c++ but i have also heard the exact opposite.

ie:
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

EDIT: and by game developer i mean more high end stuff such as 3D games and MMOs.
Last edited on
Eh, people say that because they think it's too hard. I don't know, I started with C++, and I know others on the forum here have well. I'm doing fine, and so are they. A lot of arguments are that you'll get tired of programming because "C++ is hard and frustrating" and you'll lose your drive to get to your goal. Well, programming isn't a cake walk. Especially game programming, so you're gonna need to develop some determination.

My philosophy is, don't spend time doing something unless it's benefiting you to the greatest. Scripting languages are great and have their place, but I think you should understand how a compiled language works first. The transition from compiled to interpreted language is going to be much easier than the other way around.

EDIT:
Heh, I've read this article before. He likes to different languages to each other and say one's better. Don't listen to people like that. There will probably always be holy wars between Java and C++, but the fact is, they are meant for different purposes. Interviews from the creators of both languages say exactly that. If you're programming an OS in Java, you're doing something wrong (I don't even think that's possible actually), and if you're writing a web based applet in C++, you're doing something wrong.
Last edited on
And would you have any recommendations on what to start with and goals like:
1.) console text
2.) pong
3.) etc.

Or some online resources?
Go pick up SFML, and make a pong clone. Nothing fancy, just two rectangles and a circle. Get the collision working, and set out of bounds. I think that'll keep you pretty busy for awhile and you'll learn a lot.
Just start programming. Pick something and do it. Here are some examples:

Open an image and display it on screen.
Overlay another image onto that.
Make the image move.
Make it detect mouse clicks.
Make it detect keyboard touches.
Make it make a sound when the mouse it clicked.
Make the sound move from right to left.

If you don't know how to do all of these already, start at the top and go. All of these are things games programmers do.
Last edited on
One last thing: when you are trying to make something like a button there has to be a better way than defining all the coordinants for the button: like if the mouse his further than this less than this (for x, x, y, y). and then checking for button presses.

And is SDL or SFML better to know in the long run? (for a beginner)
Last edited on
like if the mouse his further than this less than this (for x, x, y, y).

I can't think of any other way. The mouse pointer has a position on screen. That position is numbers. The location of buttons is numbers. Comparing the numbers is all there is. There are ways to write the code such that you don't have to manually type endless numbers into your code, but ultimately the code is comparing numbers against other numbers.

And is SDL or SFML better to know in the long run? (for a beginner

In the long run, it doesn't matter.
Thanks for the help
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.