Hi.

I'm new to the forum. First of all I don't know anything about C++.
I know some scripting languages( LUA, PHP-HTML ).
But I wanna learn C++.
I have few questions.

1. Is there any wiki for C++ ?
2. Where I can find C++ ? ( Like in any programs or games or whatever is it )
3. What file type is C++ ? ( .exe or what )
1)This site and many other have tutorials on C++.There are many books too.

2)You can find c++ in many programs and thousands of Games.It is used to create virus too.It can be used to develop many types of programs.

3)c++ creates .exe type file for running(and thats done by many other programs too).But you can create every other type of file with it.(eg .txt)

Its much different then HTML and those.
Thanks for quick repy.
One question more.
I have made the hello world. The first program on Documentation. So I've open the exe file with notepad ++ and I've insert the code in but nothing happens.

Thanks,
Blaz Rezar
You have to compile it using a compiler.
So I've open the exe file with notepad ++ and I've insert the code in but nothing happens.

what does that mean???

If you are putting the code in notepad then thats not going to work.
You will need a compiler first.If on windows then Visual c++ is best else use code::blocks.
How to know witch compiler and project should I choose
for windows XP SP2 VC++ ver 8
for SP3 ver 10 and same for vista or win 7.
For win 7 and 8(which will be very rare for now,but I have it) ver 12

for others code::blocks

there is "gcc" there for linux

and google "Getting started with c++""a complete guide"
For a compiler you can also use MinGW32 (for windows). It is about as light as it gets, and you would still use Notepad++ to do your writing.

MinGW comes with a console shell, so you use that, find the directory of the .cpp, and type
mingw32-make helloworld.cpp -o helloworld.exe

~assuming the name of the .cpp is helloworld.cpp, and you want the exe named helloworld.exe~

VS is much easier for me when I include many libraries, but as far as knowing whats going on, I would say MinGW
Last edited on
I would suggest starting from this sites home page or doing a certificate in programming I'm doing mine atm. You'll need a compiler to run your code, I use DevC++
So I've open the exe file with notepad ++ and I've insert the code in but nothing happens.

Your understanding of C++ is somewhat off. HTML is an interpreted language, meaning your web browser will simply display out each line. C++ is an actual programming language, which needs to be compiled. When you are creating that "Hello world" program, you are actually creating a program.

Start here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVhn0FWWB4&feature=plcp

He will actually walk you through what a compiler does, and how all of it works. These videos are what I used to get started, and all the info you need is really spoon fed to make it very easy to understand.

As others have said, Microsoft Visual C++ Express 10 is excellent, and it's free.
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-cpp-express
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.