Why cant i pop back in the vector

I keep getting one error when i type in pop_back and it wont go away. The error is hard to read.

void ques()
{
    string str;
    int input;
    int rem;

vector<string> strVect;

cout << "how many Vector items will you have?" << endl;
    cin >> input;

cin.ignore(80, '\n');

for(int i = 0; i < input; i++)
    {
        cout << "Enter a name" << endl;
        getline(cin, str);
        strVect.push_back(str);
        cout << "\n";
        cout << "Would you like to remove any items?" << endl;
        cin >> rem;
        strVect.pop_back(str);
        cin.sync();
    }

{
        cout << strVect[i] << endl;
    }
}

||=== Containers, Debug ===|
C:\Users\Chay Hawk\Desktop\Containers\main.cpp||In function 'void ques()':|
C:\Users\Chay Hawk\Desktop\Containers\main.cpp|90|error: no matching function for call to 'std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >::pop_back(std::string&)'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\include\c++\bits\stl_vector.h|764|note: candidates are: void std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::pop_back() [with _Tp = std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, _Alloc = std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >]|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings ===|
strVect.pop_back();

The member function pop_back() takes no arguments. It just removes the last item pushed onto the vector.
Last edited on
Line 24: vector::pop_back takes no arguments. It only removes the last element in the vector (in this case the last string).
strVect.pop_back();
Last edited on
Oh, is there any way to remove certain elements? like if the user types in 5 then it will get rid of the first five or something?
Last edited on
It'd just be a matter of looping pop_back 5 times..

If u need something to adjust the first elements too then maybe look into 'deque' instead of a 'vector' approach.
Last edited on
pop_back removes the last element of a vector...

if you used pop_back to do the following "like if the user types in 5 then it will get rid of the first five or something?" looping it 5 times will remove the last 5 elements not the first.

You need to use the erase function...
(Psudo)
std::vector<int> intVector;

intVectior.push_back(1);
intVectior.push_back(5);
intVectior.push_back(90);

//remove the first 2 values in the vector.
intVector.erase(intVector.begin(), intVector.begin()+1);

std::cout << intVector.at(0); //should be 90

//if you however looped the pop_back...

for (int i=0; i<2; i++)
  intVector.pop_back();

std::cout << intVector.at(0); //should be 1
so if i used intVector.at() i could delete any element? i want the user to be able to delete elements from the vector. so i f they want to delete 5 then it will delete 5 only or something like that.
intVector.at(int i) reads the information at an index, its kind of like using [] on an array (which you can do to a vector).

Erase has a couple of options in it, the example i gave above is where you remove between one point and another...

To remove a single point, use only a single argument as below (say the 5th element):

intVector.erase(intVector.begin()+5);

This removes the element 5 elements from the start.

Similarly, if you want to remove the 5th element from the end:

intVector.erase(intVector.end()-5);

if you can follow the example: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/stl/vector/erase/
Last edited on
So will it delete the last element then go back 4 more? i only want to delete a certain element, like lets say the 2nd to last element, but still want to keep the last element, will that work?
Not quite, i made a typo...

It will remove only the 5th element from the end.

Say you have the numbers in a vector of:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

intVector.erase(intVector.end()-5) will only erase the element 5 elements from the end of the vector...

So in this case, the value of 5 will be removed to leave a vector of:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9
If you are performing many insertions/deletions vector probably isn't the best container. vectors are good for random access but are slow for insertion/deletion anywhere but the end. Maybe a list or deque would be better.
Ok, well i have this:

cout << "Would you like to remove any items?" << endl;
    cin >> rem;

strVect.erase(strVect.end()-rem);

{
        cout << strVect[i] << endl;
    }

and when i entered 5 choiced it removed the one choice but copied the other choice for the rest of the output like this, this is how it would look all outputted without removing anything:

cake
cookies
punch
banana
brownie

now this is how it looks when i type in 2 element:

cake
cookies
punch
brownie
brownie

why did it change banana to brownie instead of remove it?
Last edited on
closed account (DSLq5Di1)
The item has been erased, what remains is garbage. For optimal performance, std::vector avoids resizing the internal array, unless explicitly requested.

You see the garbage because you are iterating over the vector using the old size, i < input instead of the vector size strVect.size().
ah, i got it working now thanks.
how would i get my vector to start erasing from the front? i tried this

strVect.erase(strVect.front()+rem);

But it didnt work.
This will remove the 5 first elements in the vector.
strVect.erase(strVect.begin(), strVect.begin() + 5);

This will only work if the vector has 5 or more elements.
Last edited on
I only want it to remove one element in the vector though, thats what my above code already does i just want to reverse it.
In that case, to remove the fifth element.
strVect.erase(strVect.begin() + 5); (seriphis mentioned this earlier)
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
I think you're wanting to use a std::deque rather than a vector.
It offers the benefit of random access as well as being accessible from both the front and the back of the container.

http://cplusplus.com/reference/stl/deque/

All the best,
NwN

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.