Whats the difference? And quick question(s)?

Hi all,

I was just wondeing if anyone could tell me the difference between gcc-4.7.1.tar.gz and gcc-4.7.1.tar.bz2 both of which can be found here http://www.netgull.com/gcc/releases/gcc-4.7.1/

P.S this is so i can use C++11

Is this a compiler like code:blocks or is this something that im going to have to figure out how to put into code:blocks?

P.S this is so i can use C++11

Is C++ what i should be learning if I wanna program things to do activites for me within a game. If it helps its a game called eve. And I am trying to create a bot that checks my buy and sell orders if anyone is familiar with the game.

3a. Or is it more general?

P.S eventually I will move on past just trying to make something for video games, maybe even make my own.

If GCC is not a compiler is there a compiler anyone recommends over code:blocks because i see that it has not been updated since 2010.

Thank you to all who answer :)
1: They're just different compressions of the same data.

2: It is a compiler. Code::Blocks is not a compiler. Code::Blocks currently uses a compiler. It can use this compiler instead.

3: Simple scripting languages might be easier for that sort of thing.

3a: C++ is very general.

4: GCC stands for Gnu Compiler Collection. It is a suite of compilers for various languages including C++.

I find myself thinking you might find building gcc4.7.1 from source more complicated than you're used to to . Good luck :)
Ya i realize now that code:blocks is an IDE haha so quick edit for 4. Can anyone recommend a more up to date IDE over code:blocks or is code:blocks ok?

#moschops

Thanks :P do you know how I could pu GCC into code:blocks because your definietly right about buildin gcc being a little to complicaed for me atm!
GCC is a compiler, 4.7 is the latest edition, code::blocks uses MinGW (the windows version of GCC or something, don't quote me on that) if you download it with MinGW, code::blocks isn't two years old, only the download link on the front page is, have a look at the nightlies in the forums.

I'd go to the MinGW sourceforge page and download the installer, then replace the MinGW folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks with the new one, after that if you want the newest C::B features download the nightly and copy/paste, the nightlies don't come with anything other than the core of C::B itself.

Code::Blocks is an IDE.
Last edited on
O wow it is acctually pretty up to date thank you! Is Code:blocks on par with eclipse or VS?

Or better question when will eclipse support C++11 because atm ive read it only supports the older version C++00x.
Last edited on
As far as I know no compiler supports C++11 100%, and C++00x isn't an official version of C++, it was just a stop-gap that implemented some useful features known to be in C++11.

I've not used VS, but I think they have some kind of beta.
Do you know if eclipse is up to par with code:blocks? As I think Im gonna wanna use Eclipse as my main IDE
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.