Seeking Advice

Ok Well I've Taught Myself C++ And I've Been Learning For About A Week Now, One Day I Hope To Get To The Stage Where I Could Begin Game Development But Anyways, I've Learnt The Basics I Know About Headers, Loops, Statements The Basics But Now I Don't Know What To Do, I Love Coding Something Its Something I Really Enjoy But Now I Just Don't Know What To Do Really.

Also I'm Currently Using Bloodshed DevC++ version (I think) 1.9.9.2 And I'm Thinking Of Going To Code::Blocks, Because I'vr Heard DevC++ Is Buggy The Compilers Old And Its Restricting A Beginners Learning Because It Doesn't Have Features Like Code::Blocks Should I Stay With DevC++ Or Switch?

Thanks,

Adiminium
Last edited on
Just keep coding more programs to give yourself more practice. Naturally, you'll want to incorporate more advanced features the more you write, which will give you more practice. Start with console programs that deal with integers and move on from there.

By The Way, If You Write Like This, It's Actually Really Hard On The Eyes, And Somewhat Difficult To Read. :)
Haha sorry about that its because I'm on my phone and I'm used to writing like that, But umm I just don't know where to really start and also, When you say deal with integers what do you mean? Like a calculator and such?
I'll give you some fun.
Do you know for loops?
If yes get these outputs without hard coding:

??**??****?????*?*?*????****??**??

Took me forever to get something like this.
and now the challenging part

??**1212312341234554321432132121**??

That should keep you busy for a week if you do it on and off. A day if you decide to figure out how to get it to work.
To be honest I'd have no idea where I'd even start with that?
It's actually quite fun.

I'll give you a simpler one:

for (int x=1;x<=3;x++)
{
for (int y=1;y<=3;y++)
{
cout<<y;
}
cout<<endl;
}

The loop on the outside, the x loop, makes it so 123 is repeated 3 times. The y loop on the inside makes the 123.
Last edited on
Ahh I seem to be getting it now, also I have a question, Should I use Code::Blocks or Bloodshed DevC++?
Last edited on
From everything I've read on the topic...everyone says do not use DevC++...and actually they almost seem to become quite angry when people even suggest DevC++ to new users lol.
Because it's outdated. It's okay if you use it, but don't go around suggesting to other people. Preferably, you'd make the switch as soon as you can. Code::Blocks or MS Visual C++ are both very good IDEs.
Oh OK thanks everyone!
DevC++?
I had it for a bit and couldn't do a thing with it. I literally had trouble making a "Hello World" statement with it. I suggest Code::Blocks as was already stated, it's a great thing for beginners and it gives you very useful tools as well.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.