Help with Error" cannont convert to bool

/*
File: isprime.cpp
Created by: ????
Creation Date: ????
Synopsis:
This program reads in a minimum and maximum integer greater than 1
and returns all primes between the minimum and maximum.
*/

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

// FUNCTION PROTOTYPE FOR read_range
void read_range(int& imin, int& imax);

// FUNCTION PROTOTYPE FOR is_prime
void is_prime(int& k);

// DO NOT MODIFY THE MAIN ROUTINE IN ANY WAY
int main()
{
int imin(0), imax(0);
int prime(0);
cout<<"Enter minimum and maximum:";
cin>>imin,imax;

// Read in range
read_range(imin, imax);

// Print prime numbers

cout << "Primes:";
for (int k = imin; k <= imax; k++)
{
if (is_prime(k))
{
cout << " " << k;
}
}
cout << endl;

return 0;
}

// DEFINE FUNCTION read_range() HERE:
void read_range(int& imax, int& imin)
{
while(imin>imax)
{
cout<<"Error, Minimum must be less then maximum"<<endl;

while((imin<2 || imax<2))
{
cout<<"Error, Minimum and maximum must be at least 2"<<endl;
}
}
}

// DEFINE FUNCTION is_prime() HERE:
void is_prime(int& k)
{
if(k%(k-1)!=0)
cout<<k<<endl;
}

Hello, So i have been working on this code for literally hours and im down to only one error when trying to compile. The exact error is isprime.cpp:39: error: "could not convert `is_prime(((int&)(& k)))' to `bool'".

I understand what the program is supposed to do, it reads in two numbers that the user inputs, first being min and next max. From there i have a void function to ensure two conditions are met, next i have a is_prime function that determines all the numbers that are prime between the min and max number. I believe i have everything correct but i am just lost at what that error means. I am very basic at c++ and this is for one of my home work assignments, i dont need a handout but i am officially begging for help. Thank you so much for looking at this post and thank you even more if you respond.
Giving free virtual hugs to anyone that can help me lol
Your is_void function returns void, and yet you're trying to use it as a condition for an if statement. Make it return true or false.
can you tell me how to make it return true or false like should i put

if(k%(k-1) !=0)
true;
else
false;
?
you use "if (is_prime(k))", but is_prime has no return value. change it from void to int or bool and add a return
You should read the section on functions to learn how to return something.
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/functions/

The problem is i need to make is_prime a void function for this assignement and is_prime(k) is the template the instructor is having us use for this program. I changed the is_prime void function to
{
if(k%(k-1)!=0)
true;
else
false;
}

im so lost with how you two are putting your answers , im really bad at C++. So you can you simplify what your trying to say.
We can help solve your C++ problems and answer your questions, but learning C++ is up to you.

You can't return a bool in a void function. Are you sure that you are not allowed to change void is_prime() to bool is_prime()?
in my head, the way this function is working is its taking the first number pushing into the if function (is_prime(k)) then jumps to the void function which states that if (k%(k-1)!=0) then its true..... other wise false. It then jumps back up and prints out k as prime. Rinse repeat.

The biggest problem is i cant get Is_prime to actually return true or false which i thought would work with the above code
your answer fixed my problem gulshan singh, until you said "bool is_prime()" i have not seen that before. I combed through the chapter on functions in my book and my lecturer never said that either so i guess its just a lack of knowledge. Thanks for the help.
I just now have to figure out why its working now but it wont actually print the primes, just blank.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.