Passing Arrays as Parameters to a Function? HELP!

I have a question on a homework assignment that I would like to understand/answer better.

When an array is passed as an actual parameter to a function, what is really being passed into the function? Why are arrays passed this way?

I researched this topic on cplusplus and I do to some level understand how arrays are passed and to some level why that is. I answered this as......

Arrays are passed by reference or as formal parameters. Meaning their memory location in RAM is passed. Therefore, you do not need to include the ‘&’. Furthermore, c++ will not let us pass a block of values in memory but it will let us pass it's memory location.

I do not know if this is a good answer and i'm not asking for someone to give me the answer. But it would be great if someone could explain this topic more to me.

Thanks
as far as i remember arrays are always passed as a reference to the beginning of the array, except you pass a single element of that array.
Last edited on
Arrays normally degrade into pointers to the first element of the array. These pointers and be added to and/or indexed to access other elements in the array. It is possible to pass an actual non-degraded array by reference, but it requires knowing the size of the array in advance and the syntax is ugly. It also only works with actual arrays, not pointer-style arrays.

Arrays are NOT passed by reference unless you explicitly use special syntax to do so.
Thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.