Program Flow

I'm going through the tutorials (after having gone through a number of others found online - and these are great!), but have a question regarding moving between .cpp and .h type coding. (I'm using Visual C++ Express 2010.) If I get an input within a form in the .h code, do I do the logic coding there (say to incorporate a randomize statement and some other processing or do I send it to a function within the .cpp programming then output back in the .h code (or the other way around)?
You missing the point of .h files. I recommend you to read section on them again.
Rule of thumb: only class definitions and function declarations should be in .h file. All implementation (aside from inline functions) should be in .cpp.
That's helpful. It reminds me of coldfusion.

Perhaps I should have started with tutorials focusing on c++ instead of the forms. I'm doing the c++ ones now.

You're telling me to be patient and that if I keep plugging away, I'll eventually get to it. OK, I'll be patient. But in general - to help me have a fuzzy idea about how workflow structure occurs, how does a .cpp file interact with a .h?
Last edited on
Let's start from the beginning.
If you have somethinf like that:
int funcA(int a, int b)
{
    return 2 * funcB(a, b);
}

int funcB(int a, int b)
{
    return a + b;
}

it gives you an error, because funcB defined after funcA and latter have no idea, what funcB is. To fix this you can use forvard declaration:
int funcB(int, int);

int funcA(int a, int b)
{
    return 2 * funcB(a, b);
}

int funcB(int a, int b)
{
    return a + b;
}

and it will work now, because funcA sees, that there is funcB which takes two ints and return an int somewhere.

Then you split your programm in multiple files:
//a.cpp
int funcA(int a, int b)
{
    return 2 * funcB(a, b);
}

//b.cpp
int funcB(int a, int b)
{
    return a + b;

now you have the same problem. You can manually declare an funcB function in a.cpp, but imagine that you will manually declare all functions and classes from, say, iostream or math.h? You should create a header file for b.cpp and #include it in a.cpp:
//b.cpp
int funcB(int a, int b)
{
    return a + b;

//b.h
int funcB(int, int);

//a.cpp
# include "b.h"
//Now we know that we including funtions from b.h
//And most likely their implementations is in b.cpp
//if we just write a forward declaration
//we will have no idea where to find funcB implementation

int funcA(int a, int b)
{
    return 2 * funcB(a, b);
}

Why shouldn't you have implementation in .h files? that because #include "smth.h" just dump content of smth.h file at include position.
The following code:
//***
//c.h
int dooCoolStuff(int a)
{
   return a + 1;
}

//a.cpp
#include "c.h"

//...

//b.cpp
#include "c.h"

//... 

will be processed as:
//a.cpp
int dooCoolStuff(int a)
{
   return a + 1;
}

//...

//b.cpp
int dooCoolStuff(int a)
{
   return a + 1;
}

//... 

and there you have an error: you cannot have two functions with same signature. You should move actual implementation to .cpp file and leave declaration in .h:
//c.h
int dooCoolStuff(int);

//c.cpp
int dooCoolStuff(int a)
{
   return a + 1;
}

and code "***" wont have any errors.
That is extremely helpful. It provides me a better understanding of how the overall flow of logic occurs. This will give me a framework on which to hang the syntax as I learn. Thank you!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.