Visual Studio exe builder

Hello all, I am new to C++ and Visual studio 2012 express the IDE I am using. I have created a simple c++ project that runs a batch file just as a first test sort of thing. I am not sure how to build a exe that will run on another computer, it keeps saying that the exe is not a valid win32 application. I have figured out, I think, how to create a release exe and a debug exe from the configuration manager under the build tab, but neither work for me on the 2nd computer.

I don't know if I am on the right track. If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I think VS 2012 is for Windows 8 development. Try using VS 2010. I'm not sure though, but make sure the OS you're developing for is Windows 8.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
That is wrong fredbill VS 2012 is not just for windows 8. It is the almost the exact same as 2010 with some improved features.

Also when you start did you create a win32 console application? When you build a project it puts the .exe in the debug folder where you created the project if you are in debug mode and in the release folder when in release mode.

You should be able to take that .exe and use it on any computer as long as you put all the needed .dll and other files in the same folder as the exe (Shouldn't have to worry about this since you are just starting and probably not dealing with any .dll and other files).
Last edited on
I didn't create a win32 console application just started a new empty project so I could see and build the whole thing myself but it wasn't as simple as I though to just run a batch file. Guess that error I was getting before make a little more sense.
Thanks for your help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.