is it just me who cant understand bjarnestroustups book?

is it just me who cant get through chapter 20 in bjarne stroustrups book "programming princibles and practice using c++"

its riduculously hard at chapter 20 when he talks about iterators, list and text document...

i selfstudy, so nobody can really help me.

its like cant really learn more - im so stuck right now >_<
try c++ primer by Stanly B Lippman - has great easy to read info on iterators, pointers, file IO, templates, and other things that tend to confuse people
If you have some questions relative to the chapter 20 then ask them here. There are meny experienced programmers who can help you.
Last edited on
dreamincolor: thank you.... ill look that up

vlad: its like the whole thing... because he shows how vectors, lists and iterators and implemented. So i have like 20 questions in at the same time :P

His writing is for a very knowledgable audience. The C++ Programming Language is hard to follow too. He writes very susinctly--every word has a purpose. The jargon is also layed on thick.
Last edited on
@Assassinbeast
vlad: its like the whole thing... because he shows how vectors, lists and iterators and implemented. So i have like 20 questions in at the same time :P

Well, tomorrow or maybe even today I will read this chapter and hope will be ready to answer your questions.:)
vlad:

no no no man, thanks for being here for me :-) . But i think ill read another thick book that is easier to follow, because that bjarnes book is just too hard.
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

Might I suggest that you indeed first read a book explaining the use of the most commonly used C++ features?
That will first give you an idea as to what everything is and what is used for.

Then, after you have a general idea and you're interested, you can get into the details of how everything is implemented and why. It will make your learning more gradual and probably more pleasant.

All the best,
NwN
I start to read this chapter and encountered already a bug in a code example in the first Russian edition (an updated edition was also published but i have no it).

In section 20.1 there is such code

double h = -1;
double* jack_high;
double* jill_high;

for (int i=0; i<jack_count; ++i)
   if (h<jack_data[i])
      jack_high = &jack_data[i];

As the author says this code snip searches the maximum element in the array. However as you can see this code searches nothing.:)

I think that the difficulties you have is due to such bugs and very bad code of code examples.

You should take into account that Bjarne is not a professional programmer. So his code examples are usually demonstate how code should not be written.:)

Bjarne is more theoretic of programming.
Last edited on
@Assassinbeast
But i think ill read another thick book that is easier to follow, because that bjarnes book is just too hard.

You can have the same problems with another thick book. I am sure that the most profit you will get when you will read a book from the very beginning to the very end even if the book is not good enough.
Last edited on
i think practice coding and tutorials will move you faster than bjarns book.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
It's just a type of mindset. C++ is NOT by any means the easiest language to learn simply because of its shoddy syntax and forceful compatibility with C.

In order to satisfy your knowledge, you simply have to ask questions (perhaps even on this forum) or try implementing them yourself to emulate the behavior he describes until you get it right. It's not an easy going process and quite stressful at times.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.