warning C4227: anachronism used : qualifiers on reference are ignored

So I get that error when I try to do this:

typedef double const (*t_p_training_function)(std::vector<double> const&); // training function pointer type

The MS C++ docs say this about that error:

anachronism used : qualifiers on reference are ignored
Using qualifiers like const or volatile with C++ references is an outdated practice.

Which I don't really understand. Why is using a const qualifier on a reference outdated? It's exactly what I want to do in this case (ie. I want a reference to it and I don't want to modify it).

Should I just pass it as const? Will this have the same effect? Even so, what's wrong with the "reference" just for added clarity?
Last edited on
Looks like a broken diagnostic.

clang++ says
test.cc:4:16: warning: 'const' type qualifier on return type has no effect
typedef double const (*t_p_training_function)(std::vector<double> const&);

g++ says
test.cc:4:73: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]

Intel says
test.cc(4): warning #858: type qualifier on return type is meaningless

Nothing wrong with the reference.
Last edited on
Ah ok, I'll post it over at the MS forums and see what the VC++ devs say..
What version of VC++ are you using? Neither VC++10 nor VC++11 generate an error for that code.

On the other hand it is generated as a warning in VC++11 for some slightly different code:

typedef double const (*t_p_training_function)(std::vector<double> & const); where it looks like the intention is for const to modify the reference and not what is referenced.
Last edited on
My mistake, the error was cause on the line after that one... Sorry for wasting your time.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.