Problem returning char type from a function..

Hello guys, thanks for checking my question. First, I'm really sorry about the thread title if it's confusing and unspecific. I lack proper english and knowledge of c++ to explain the problem in short sentence :(

Anyway, I got an assignment and part of that assignment is to create a class with an overloaded constructor that accept a hexadecimal string which will be stored as an int. I have figured out how to convert hex string and store as an int. Now they want me to create a function that returns the decimal value as an hexadecimal string.

Here is the code that i write quickly in main function:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int number = 266;
    char buffer[20];
    itoa(number, buffer,16);
    cout<<buffer;
}

that code runs fine without any error, but when i try to convert it as a function, like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

char *showHex(int decimal)
{
    char inHex[25];
    char *displayHex;
    itoa(decimal, inHex, 16);
    displayHex = inHex;
    return displayHex;
}

int main()
{
    int number = 266;
    cout<<showHex(number);
}

it compiles without error but when i ran it some weird characters show up!
i ran the code on my friend's borland C++ and somehow it display correctly, but not on mine (i used CodeBlocks). why is that? does anyone have any idea? Thanks :(
char inHex[25]; is a local definition. After exiting the function the stack occupied by this definition can be overwritten.
I think that your function shall follow the interface of standard C function itoa that is it shall have two parameters the original number and the character array where the result will be written.
Last edited on
You are returning a pointer with the memory address of a local variable.
Local variables are stored on the stack memory area.
When the function ends its stack section becomes unsafe to use.

Plain English: you can't know what will happen if you try to use a local variable after its daddy function ends!

Solution: return a copy instead of a pointer. And use modern C++ elements while you're at it.

#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>
#include <string>

// minor observation, find a better name for this function
std::string showHex(int decimal)
{
    std::stringstream inHex;

inHex << std::hex << decimal;
    return inHex.str();
}

int main()
{
    std::clog << showHex(177) << '\n';
    std::clog << showHex(16) << '\n';
    std::clog << showHex(256) << '\n';
    std::clog << showHex(1023) << '\n';
}
b1
3ff
thanks for the reply vlad and catfish23. seems like i missed a lot of things to study. and your explanation is good, i'm glad i asked here.
this is the first time i used stringstream, i'll figure out how it works! my college never even mentioned this. haha. anyway thank you guys!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.