Games in C++ (openGL) ?

okay i have just moved on from java after about two years of programming in it and i want to know the best path to go down for game development. i have been messing around with freeglut in c++ and got the basics down. i have heard people talk about SDL, allegro and sfml. what is the differance between the three and freeglut because i have looked and the all seem like openGL windowing library's
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
free glut is an extension of opengl. sfml is like a better sdl but sdl is easier to install and use. idk about allegro, but i dont think it can do anything that s(dl)(fml) + opengl cant do
Last edited on
DTSCode wrote:
free glut is an extension of opengl.

No, it's not.

i have been messing around with freeglut in c++ and got the basics down. i have heard people talk about SDL, allegro and sfml. what is the differance between the three and freeglut because i have looked and the all seem like openGL windowing library's

They could all be described as frameworks built around openGL. (Well, I have to plead ignorance with Allegro, I don't know much about it.)

The difference between SDL and SFML is basically one of paradigm. SDL uses a C interface. SFML uses an object oriented C++ interface that is, IMO, much more intuitive to work with. Freeglut just provides a basic framework for windowing/input while working with OpenGL with no attempt to provide any graphical primitives like SFML/SDL (and presumably Allegro.) SFML/SDL also provide some basic networking and sound capabilities; Freeglut does not.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
sorry my mistake. i knew it was a part of opengl but i think i read somewhere that it was like an extension/library like SDL_Image. what you said makes sense
what was it like being forced wreck havoc with java all these years?
thanks cire :) i think i might stick to free-glut then, seems like the best one tbh seems the simplest and i think it could be the most effective, i think i would learn more by having to code things myself e.g image loading instead of using sdl_image.h, i actually liked java, i learnt a lot from it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.