Is c++ still in heavy use today?

Pages: 12
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask, is c++ still used in many things today? I've read from alot of websites that its like the 6th most used programming language these days and Java or Javascript are the first. I just wanted to know from some professional programmers, is it still used in a lot of things today? Thanks alot!
I know at least one person who writes C++ professionally, he'd probably go ahead and say 'no' 'yes' right away.

C++ is getting better all the time, C++14 in the works and all that...

It's recognised as a powerful language, not always practical (as with anything).

It depends on what you're doing with it.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
yes its still heavily used
Is there a programming language that you think is more practical/powerful than C++?
And thank you both by the way!
That's a hard question to answer. Practicality and power mean a lot of things. Perhaps you could explain your motives for asking such a question? Are you trying to decide which language to learn or something?
Well, i'm currently learning C++ and I know a basic knowledge of it but before I want to go too far into it I wanted to know if there are better programming languages as far as designing GUI and things like that. I also have a small amount of knowledge of Java and I know a lot of Python.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Well ..u need to tell us..what are u gonna be using it for..for game designing,,programming...other...

Than we can tell u also tell us do u want a language that is simple but does the work or hard but does the work wayyyyyyyy better
what are u gonna be using it for..for game designing,,programming

lets be realisitic captain... hes not going to be using it for programming. lets be realistic.
According to the TIOBE index, it's still the 4th most popular language. It's beating javascript, but that doesn't mean much anyways because they don't have the same purpose. C is still first. Java is second. Objective C third.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

The good thing about learning C++, is that it will make learning other languages easy. For example, Java is a piece of cake after knowing C++, but C and C++ are nightmares for people who only know Java.

I personally don't like making GUI's in Java. It's built in, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily better or easier to use.

Objective C is Apples version of an object oriented superset of C.
Last edited on
This is a common question.

For example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/865817/why-should-i-learn-c

But I think the most important thing is that you came here and asked it, rather than in a Java forum, or a general purpose programming forum like Stack Overflow.

So it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I'll say 'good choice' because C++ is my personal favourite, and one of the first I learnt. It's very rewarding learning this language, and even now despite all I can do with it I still only know a small proportion of what it has to offer. Even now it's still being developed and added to by thousands of experts from academia and industry.

But I'm biased, probably. I mean I am posting on a C++ forum.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Javascript is C++ but with less functionality and Java is just OOP with no structured coding like C++. Its easier to learn OOP with Java since understanding objects isn't on the depth of understanding C++ syntax and theory plus you have garbage collection but so does BOOST C++ pointers.

I personally think Java is an overrated language used by mediocre programmers who don't want to learn the depth of C++, or just don't have the time for debugging simple things like copy constructors. Thinking about passing an object in Java is nil compared to C++, thats one thing thats easier with Java.
Javascript is C++ but with less functionality

Can you explain? That one of the wackiest claims I've heard in a while.
Last edited on
Javascript is C++ but with less functionality

not true at all. java is a valid language that can be used professionally. and honestly its kind of hard to take that claim seriously with the name lost with cpp
Java IS NOT Javascript.

There is no relation despite the name similarity.
Can you explain? That one of the wackiest claims I've heard in a while.

Can you overload operators, define custom templates, use inline assembler, no! Javascript is nothing useful beyond browser functionality and even on that level its relatively limited. Using CSS nowadays makes Javascript look weak and a lot of folks hate Javascript for malware problems.

not true at all. java is a valid language that can be used professionally. and honestly its kind of hard to take that claim seriously with the name lost with cpp

Of course Java is used professionally, but the fact remains that its an easier way to do OOP than C++.
Last edited on
There is no relation despite the name similarity.

there is actually some relation

@lostwithcpp: a) that is not true. css only does design. javascript provides functionality. and just because you cant do that stuff in java script doesnt make it inferior to c++ or c++ with less functionality. also java isnt neccesarily easier with oop
Javascript and Java are two completely different languages.

Can you overload operators, define custom templates, use inline assembler, no! Javascript is nothing useful beyond browser functionality and even on that level its relatively limited. Using CSS nowadays makes Javascript look weak and a lot of folks hate Javascript for malware problems.

I didn't mean explain the less functionality part, I meant the is C++ part. That's like saying Pizza is cake but with less sugar.
Last edited on
no its not. but you know what? im not getting into another language debate. your wrong.
I like this response to that question at stackoverlow.

Question: What's the difference between JavaScript and Java?

Answer: Java and Javascript are similar like Car and Carpet are similar.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/245062/whats-the-difference-between-javascript-and-java

Last edited on
Pages: 12