Getting bits in RDX after multiply (x64)

Hi

Using the old fashioned (unsigned) multiplication instruction in x64 assembly multiplies RAX (64 bit register) by a 64 bit register. The answer is stored in RDX:RAX (i.e. the answer is 128 bits). Is there any way, using native c++ to get the value in RDX (higher 64 bits)? One I can think of is:

right/(limit/left) e.g. if we are limited to a byte then 97*123 would overflow:

97/(255/123) = 46 times, which is RDX's (if it was one byte) value. But this is too inefficient. Is there a fast way?
Last edited on
No. If you are using assembly for the multiply, why not use assembly to get the result?
I'd just prefer to have it in native c++. Also see this post:

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/108526/

Basically I do not know how to get Visual Studio (I'd imagine it's a linker option?) to inline functions written in x64 assembly.

extern "C" inline void MyAsmFunction(/*params*/);

Doesn't seem to do anything different than if the inline word was missing. If it was native c++ the compiler would inline such a function easily.
Last edited on
"native c++" doesn't have 128-bit types, but it defines the rules for when such types are provided by the compiler. If your compiler is one of those that implements them (and a lot of them actually do), you can write it in C++:

//volatiles to defeat optimizations
volatile uint64_t a = rand();
volatile uint64_t b = rand();
volatile uint64_t r;
int main()
{
    r = ( __int128(a)*b ) >> 64;
}

g++
main:
        movq    a(%rip), %rdx
        movq    b(%rip), %rax
        mulq    %rdx
        xorl    %eax, %eax  // prepare the return value for main()
        movq    %rdx, r(%rip) // copy RDX to r
        ret

clang++:
main:
        movq    a(%rip), %rax
        mulq    b(%rip)
        movq    %rdx, r(%rip)
        xorl    %eax, %eax
        ret

PS: Interestingly, the rationale for this feature request against Visual Studio is exactly having to use assembly to access the 128-bit result of the 64-bit multiplication on x86_64 platforms: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/529171/implement-128-bit-type
Last edited on
^ Yea, I've been working on a big integer library recently and have found the lack of a 128 bit integer data type in Visual Studio baffling, especially when it's so easy to handle such numbers in x64 assembly.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.