Problem with arrays

Hello, I have a problem, I cant change my arrays dynamically.
I'm using Codeblocks for IDE and mingw for the compiler.

this is how my header looks like:
#include <array>
#include <iostream>
#include "vector.h"
using namespace std;

class Curve
{
public:
        void LoadCurve(array<Vector2,1> curve);
        float evaluate(float position);
private:
    	int p;
    	int valuesLen;
        array<float, 2> values;
        int FindPoint(float position);
};

and my .cpp

#include "Curve.h"

void Curve::LoadCurve(array<Vector2,1> curve)
{
    int len = curve.size();
    values =  new array<float, 2>(len,2);

for (int i = 0; i < len; i++)
	{
		values[i,0] = curve.x[i];
		values[i,1] = curve.y[i];
	}
	valuesLen = len;
}

and my errors look like this:

C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp||In member function 'int Curve::FindPoint(float)':|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|9|warning: left operand of comma operator has no effect [-Wunused-value]|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp||In member function 'void Curve::LoadCurve(std::array<Vector2, 1u>)':|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|20|error: new initializer expression list treated as compound expression [-fpermissive]|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|20|warning: left operand of comma operator has no effect [-Wunused-value]|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|20|error: no matching function for call to 'std::array<float, 2u>::array(int)'|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|20|note: candidates are:|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note: std::array<float, 2u>::array()|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note: constexpr std::array<float, 2u>::array(const std::array<float, 2u>&)|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'int' to 'const std::array<float, 2u>&'|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note: constexpr std::array<float, 2u>::array(std::array<float, 2u>&&)|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.7.1\include\c++\array|62|note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'int' to 'std::array<float, 2u>&&'|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|24|warning: left operand of comma operator has no effect [-Wunused-value]|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|24|error: 'struct std::array<Vector2, 1u>' has no member named 'x'|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|25|warning: left operand of comma operator has no effect [-Wunused-value]|
C:\MoDyEnDLL\Curve.cpp|25|error: 'struct std::array<Vector2, 1u>' has no member named 'y'|
||=== Build finished: 4 errors, 4 warnings (0 minutes, 0 seconds) ===|

What should I do to resolve this issue?
Basically what I want to achive is quite simple. I wrote this code in C# and i'm trying to recrete it in c++. I tryed to use a c# to c++ converter but the code was not working.
You cannot supply two indices to a list like that:

values[i,0] = ...

Your method is also not being careful to properly delete[] any previous value of values, if any.

I am also unsure why you are using std::array here. (IMHO, it is a fairly useless class...) In any case, it is for fixed size data, not dynamic. If you want a dynamic array, you should be using a std::vector. To resize the data, all you need do is call values.resize( len );. No pointers involved.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, well my problem is that I wanted to create a multidimensional array. In my particular case(Car engine data), Rpm in the first array and Engine torque in the second. (Actually I want more engine data in the array, but as for now I have 2 "row's")
Anyway as I searched google for it, it seemed like Arrays are simple to use). Or could you sugest a page with a great example on how to create multidimensional arrays and modify the sizes & data dynamically. Tryed to use the native way but that also didnt seem to cut the deal.

Thanks for helping!
Wow, that seems to be all anyone wants to know right now...

Give me a sec to dig something up.

Okay, here's the most comprehensive answer I've given lately. (I really need to write the FAQ for this next.)
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/118058/#msg643956

If you plan to do anything much more complex than that, or need an STL container-like interface, then check out the Boost Multidimensional Array Library
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/release/libs/multi_array/doc/user.html

Hope this helps.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.