Language for app development?

Pages: 12
Hello,

I'm going to develop a mobile phone app for use on Android, iPhone, Windows etc. I'm not a developer, but would like to do some research. Is C++ the standard language to develop this? If not, then what is?
I know for sure that C-Objective is for iOS, but I think Java is main for Android.

EDIT: Of course, you need a Java development kit for Android to use it. xd
Last edited on
From quick research it looks like Objective-C is an extension of C++.

So an app for Android and iOS has to be developed from scratch in two different languages. It cannot be developed in a base language and then ported over to the other OS?

Excuse my lack of programming knowledge. It seems very labour-intensive to create an app for several platforms.
Java is the language for Android development! Download the SDK from the Android SDK website ( Google it ). It takes a bit and you need to unzip it. Then use the program Eclipse to make apps in Java for Android. I'm not sure how to release them though. If your lazy, just use this:
http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/Product_Details/CPlusPlus_to_Java_Converter_Details.html
It's not !00% accurate, but you can find the little mistake fixes online probably.
Hi Jazpen. I'm not developing this myself. I will be the concept/UI designer, and I'll be teaming up with a developer at a later date. Just trying to get a good understanding of what's needed at the moment.

You're link is for a C++ to Java converter. Would the best way to approach this be to develop in C++ and then convert to both Objective-C and Java later? (Bear in mind I would also need to make it accessible to Windows Phone too).

Or would it be best to develop it in the language of the largest userbase (Android), and then convert it over to iOS after?
What programming language do you currently know?
Well if you are making the app for Apple, the UI created included with Xcode is very nice and requires little training (if your not writing the code). To use the Xcode UI, create, and to link it with your code, you need to have a basic understanding of Objective C. There are great tutorials on the Internet that can assist you to create the UI and link it with the code. Youtube is a great place to find these types of tutorials.
I have very basic knowledge of a couple of languages, but I won't be developing this myself. As mentioned, I'll work with a developer. Would it be better to develop with Xcode or Objective-C, considering I'll need to develop it for other platforms too?

From my research Objective-C is standard for iOS, Java for Android, and C# for Windows Phone. On another forum it was mentioned that converting code to a different language is likely to cause problems, and that the app for each platform would need to be developed from scratch. Is this true?
Well, it is partially true. If you have a large program and you need to convert it form one language to another, it may be difficult or impossible to convert it if you have used some features that are not available on the other language and you cannot substitute the features, but you shouldn't worry about that if you aren't the developer. I don't understand what you are saying by this:
but I won't be developing this myself. As mentioned, I'll work with a developer. Would it be better to develop with Xcode or Objective-C, considering I'll need to develop it for other platforms too

If you are only developing the Ui it will be simple on Xcode. It is very easy to use and link as I've said before. I would star thy releasing your app on Apple then moving to the other platforms. I'm not sure about the UI creators in Eclipse or the Windows SDK(I've never used them). You should really ask your developer about what exactly to do and how to do it. This topic seems a little unclear. Best wishes!
Thanks for the info Jazpen. What I meant by me designing the UI, is that I'll create it as annotated images (using illustrator), and then work with a developer for them to program it. But I will look into Xcode if it means that I can design a UI without having to learn the language.

You mention releasing on Apple first. What's your reasoning?
Oh wow. I thought you were making the User Interface (UI) not the animations and graphics. What I said might be completely wrong then. So making the app for Apple sees the easiest in my experience with making them. That would be up to your developer I suppose though.
Excuse my lack of programming knowledge. It seems very labour-intensive to create an app for several platforms.

It is. It sounds like you're starting a new company ( or at least working in a small team ). I would advise that you nix the idea about a phone, and instead develop a web app.

Checkout Ruby on Rails or Express ( a NodeJS framework )
http://rubyonrails.org/
http://expressjs.com/

Like the RoR site says, deployment within days.

If you use git for source control, deploying your app to Heroku is super quick.
https://www.heroku.com/
Last edited on
C# for windows phone and windows 8 apps
C/C++ for widgets and some basic apps if you use Qt creator or some games using SFML
Java script for web based apps
Objective C for iOS development
python for some android apps and computer games
Java for android and pretty much for everything else
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
for web based you can also use java and flash and dart (well thats chrome only)
HTML5 works on all devices...
Playdo wrote:
From quick research it looks like Objective-C is an extension of C++.
Objective-C is an extension of C. Objective-C++ is an extension of C++.
Thanks for the replies. I already have an app concept that is targeted specifically for phones.

So there's no confusion Jazpen: I will design all aspects of the app, from the user interaction to the graphics. I will then outsource for it to be developed.

Mats: I'm not sure what you mean here by HTML5 works on all devices?
You say you want to create an app to work on Windows phone, Android phone and Apple phone. This requires either separate files written for each platform OR one file written in HTML5, which runs on all platforms.

HTML5 + Javascript gives enormous app creating powers. I can't imagine there are many apps you can't write in it.
Last edited on
Sounds like HTML5 is the language for app designers. Any downsides to it, or reasons why developers use multiple languages to develop cross-platform?
Many features of HTML 5 has only recently become supported by browsers and it is not officially standard for another year. Plus why would say, Apple want you to use HTML 5 when you can pay to use their software?
Pages: 12