Information on programming

Hello there! :D
In the past two weeks I have been attempting to learn how to create something out of CMD prompt, in other words start programming actual programs that have graphics such as buttons and whatever have you... (standard stuff such as file, edit). But I haven't found out any information I've been hoping for so therefore I'm really confused at what people actually do to create programs because they're not being made in CMD prompt, obviously.
Any advice would help me massively and actually stop me being extremely confused and put off my coding / general work because this topic keeps on popping up in my head and I cannot seem to get my head around it at all.
Thanks!
Most people use a library dedicated to graphical application development. There are a lot of different libraries to choose, so I'll just name a few.

Qt
Ultimate++ 
GTK+ - C library with a C++ binding
... and many, many more...

I've only had any sort of experience with Qt, and it works. The biggest downside with Qt is that it seems to really discourage the standard library and any library which is built around the standard library (for example Boost).

You'll have to search up information about these libraries on your own, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get the needed information.
Ye I've been using Qt and have seen this. But seen as they create C++ source files anyway isn't there a way to actually make a graphic library and therefore that file will run a full application like a program would no matter how big it is (provding your computer can actually run it lol)? And ye Qt has nearly a whole entire language dedicated to there GUI which makes it extremely irritating, cause you have to learn QML and things like that :/
QML is optional to learn. You can create an application without it.
Also, I don't get what you mean in your reply. What do you consider a "graphic library", anyway? If you want a GUI library, I've supplied you a few. If you want a multimedia library, there are also a few alternatives which I could list if you want.
Ye Multimedia library sorry, things like SFML or opengl, and see the thing with QT's GUI is that I don't understand it seems more of a program for creating things such as android apps (Ik that you need Java for android apps but none the less)
Thank you for helping me by the way :D
I have had a fairly large experience with Qt, and there are a few things you should just understand. You don't need QML for Qt programs, QML is for things like android apps. Qt, is first and foremost, a windowing library. It is designed to make it easy to create portable code for creating windows with a native look and feel on all operating systems.

Qt can be used for graphics, though its much more difficult than using something like SFML or SDL (or even GLFW or FreeGLUT) to do it for you, because it gives you more options. As in, mostly those libs that I mentioned earlier just take in the size of the window and the title, and maybe some display options. With Qt, you actually have to build the window and then make it have an OpenGL context. This is good, though, if you want more accurate windowing systems, or you want a GUI to use with you program.

For you, I would recommend using SFML or SDL. I would normally recommend OpenGL as well, but not for you. Why? OpenGL is NOT a multimedia lib. Its a graphics library. There is a difference, graphics libraries do graphics, multimedia does graphics, sound, windowing, input, etc.

Basically, Qt can do a lot, and you want SFML or SDL.
So is this pretty much saying that I should continue using Qt and also use SFML or SDL, so It's transportional to the source files.
If I understood this correctly then yes you're extremely helpful, thank you very much :D
Qt actually mimicks OS look and feel instead of just using its components. I think of it as a double-edged sword that looks like a native application while at the same time being fully customizable. I found it too annoying to use. You will often find yourself having to call 10 getters till you have the one object you wanted to work with, and derive from their classes for the tiniest customizations.

SFML is dead-simple, but you will find yourself programming basic things such as dropdown lists and textviews.
Ye, as I am still a beginner, but I want to start printing things that have a window application layout in a sense so I feel like it's becomming an actual program.
Does that make sense?
Making a program with a graphical user interface is much more about learning libraries, classes and functions than any actual programming paradigms and syntax. A metaphor might be a teacher won't teach Latin without also teaching the history of the Roman empire, if that makes sense.

You need to know what you want and ask yourself the right questions. The "What?" of a project can and should be answered with zero programming competence/reference. Only then comes the "How?". Reading a book on this does not help. It's the sort of thing that needs to rinse through your head in a moment of enlightenment. Rofl
Yep haha, kind of like a apythony lol
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.