Do I need to memorize all the DirectX 11 Functions and syntax

I'm starting to do Direct3D and i was getting a bit overwhelmed because there is so many things to try and remember. For example in this book I'm reading ("Beginning DirectX11 Game Programming by Allen Sherrod, Wendy Jones") there are so many lines of code required to render a simple triangle. It seems there is to much to think about. I don't know what to do.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
No, just:

A) Write a wrapper over it.

B) Slowly learn it little by little.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
The important part is to learn the basic concepts behind graphics programming. It is impossible to remember every single function, method, class, ect in DirectX (Though after a few years you will remember quite a few of them off hand).

But don't fear after awhile and once you get to know the core concepts behind graphics programming you will know exactly what you need to do and can easily look at the documentation if you don't remember what method or function does it.

My advice is don't give up. The first few months of DirectX are a pain in the ass I know and are very overwhelming but trust me it gets easier and a lot more fun once everything starts to click.
I guess it'll just be a slow process. Oh, and another thing. There is another book i bought and its slower and is more about game programming (which is my intent to get into) than the other book. But this book is over Direct3D 9 not Direct3D 11. Should i go through the Direct3D 9 book first then go to the Direct3D 11 or what?
Last edited on
I would choose whatever one is of more interest to you. There is a few differences between Direct3D 9 and 11 but once you learn either one of them you will have no trouble learning the differences. So might as well read something that you enjoy reading then something that you might not enjoy reading as much but teaches the more up to date version. There have been plenty of studies that show when you enjoy learning/doing something you comprehend it much easier and remember things much easier.

And again once you understand the basic concepts picking up the differences and the syntax is easy or I should say easier.

So do whatever feels best for you there is no single way of learning that works for everyone.
I agree that learning whatever is more interesting to you is good advice however...

There is a few differences between Direct3D 9 and 11 but once you learn either one of them you will have no trouble learning the differences

A dangerous thing to say, almost all DX9 tutorials will use the fixed pipeline where DX11 will of course use the programmable pipeline with shaders. This is a huge difference and will completely change the way you think about setting things up. For this reason I wouldn't stay with DX9 any longer than you need to.
Ahh thank you for catching that Jame2250. For some reason I was thinking DX10 instead of 9.

Please disregard all my advice relating to there not being much difference between DX9 and DX11. That was my mistake.
Okay, i will stick to DX11. Thank you for your input!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.