Console Input and Output at the Same Time

closed account (N36fSL3A)
Alright, so to better myself with network logic I've decided to make a small net game.

I need to input commands to the console as well as output status updates at the same time. I'd prefer to write a gui interface for that, but I'd rather work with WinAPI as little as possible (I mean, look at the way it's designed...).

I'd like to do this with standard operations, limiting dependencies is a must for me.
Last edited on
a gui interface for that, but I'd rather work with WinAPI as little as possible
WxWidgets, SFML.

I'd like to do this with standard operations, limiting dependencies is a must for me.
Write your own wrapper around WinAPI (excruciating task). Also look into ncurses ports for Windows if you want something console-like.
SFML has network, graphics and window support so you may be able to dodge 90% of the WinAPI if you design it right.

I don't see what you mean by "limiting dependencies", do you mean you want to stick with only one or two libraries? Or do you want to avoid monolithic solutions like Boost for some arbitrary reason?
Well you can use Qt to make windows quick and easy and even communicate online (see QTCPSocket or QUDPSocket). See if you need it..
Last edited on
Can QT output to WinAPI code?
Can QT output to WinAPI code?

Could you rephrase this question? Are you asking:

A.) Can code written with QT be output and displayed on a Windows machine?

B.) Can code written on the QT framework communicate with code written on the WinAPI?

C.) Can code written in QT be translated into code for the WinAPI?

D.) Something else...
I choose C!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.