What is a Runtime Library

What is a runtime library if anyone could tell me that would be great.
Thanks!
Any library that is linked to at run time can be called a runtime library. Usually, though, the term is reserved for libraries that provide a language's basic interfaces (e.g. the Visual C++ Runtime, JRE, etc.).
do i have to use a runtime library in my programs? And are they a bad thing to have?
Last edited on
Standard C++ doesn't require a runtime library.
Using runtime libraries has some benefits as you can use the new version of that library without having to recompile the program and some disadvantages as you would need the library to be installed in the computer you wish your program to run
I'll take advantage of Qwerty2's post here for my own benefit. I hope you don't mind. :-D

For a looong time I thought C and C++ did not need a runtime, but then I read somewhere that Windows shipped a runtime, so that confused me a bit. I THINK my confusion disappear by reasoning it this way: Ok, so I always thought no runtime existed because Windows has always had it.

Now, since the appearance of Visual Studio .Net 2005 (could be earlier, I don't know), I see "C++ runtime package" as a prerequisite for a few applications I have installed.

So: If helios and Bazzy don't mind the asking. What happened? What's up with all this? Was I mistaken all along? Or has time changed things around?

And I am sorry if I speak solely of Windows and Microsoft and Visual C++. I know there are many OS's out there and many C++ compilers. I just don't have experience with them and I cannot use them as references.
Microsoft loves being different...
When programming with VC++, it links for default to the runtime library but you can change the settings to make your program link to the static library
Microsoft loves being different...
Oh, boy.
Need I remind you of the existence of libc?
hi all,
refer more infor about Runtime Library:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/424549/difference-between-c-c-runtime-library-and-c-c-standard-library

finally, I have not still understand : What is a Runtime Library ?, why printf, fopen,... is a part of
Runtime Library ?
Please explain more detail about C/C++ Runtime Library , add examples is great .

Thanks ,
thavali

Last edited on
please help :)
re-up, sorry, I am very needing a answer :)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runtime_library
thank Grey Wolf ,
explaining in wiki is use for OS environment (like: Windows, linux,...). I need a define of C/C++ Runtime library in embedded system field. because in embedded system, there has not terms "dynamic linking" or "DLL library",..

thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.