what can c++ do in general?

Hi! so i'm 12 and i'm very interested in programming and computers in general (just installed my first hard drive and graphics card) and c++ seems to be the most overall programming language, so i'd like to learn it. The only problem is that i'm not exactly sure what you can do with this language.
C++ is primarily used for high performance executables. Games, utilities, drivers, editors, etc. You name it, C++ can probably do it.

That's not to say it's the best language for all those types of programs. But is certainly is capable of doing them.
Ok thanks
also this is probably stupid but brute force password hacking with C++ can it be done and is it simple?
can it be done
It can be done in any programming language.

is it simple?
Barring any unstated considerations, it's neither more nor less simple than in other programming languages.
ok thanks ill look into that then
Please find something to code that won't get you into trouble. Hacking passwords won't lead to anything good.
i don't have malicious intent with this i just want to test my capabilities and also i just think it's quite cool
Good luck with whatever you choose to do (unless it is illegal). However i would recommend starting with a easier to learn language and then working up to c++.

I started with C++ and I quickly learnt that i started with one of the hardest languages to start learning programming with. Once you learn another language it becomes easier to learn other languages.

I would recommend starting with Python and then going to c++ once you learn the basics.

Please don't complain this is just my opinion
Last edited on
Over 9000 things
Yeah, I didn't have any malicious intent with this stuff when I was 12 either...

I'll tell you this right now OP with every expectation that you will forget it well before it is ever relevant. Brute Forcing a password may sound cool right now and it will be right up until you realize that you're just vomiting text from a nested for loop to the command line. Just like Buffer Overruns sound completely awesome until you realize that it's no different from opening a document with a text editor, switching the typing prompt from insert to overwrite and choosing some point in the file to start writing. Big bad Thread\DLL Injection, that sounds scary and really impressive right? This is functionally a copy & paste operation with the occasional need to look up an address.

My point is that there is much cooler stuff to sink your time into. Don't get caught up in this kind of thing and miss the really interesting parts.
Thank you all everyone you have been a great help
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.