A good game to create for practice?

What would be a good game for me to create as practice for C++? Optimally this would be something that isn't too complex but does also require to me to practice/learn a broad aspect of skills. Thank you!
Three basic games that spring to mind are:
- tic tac toe (aka noughts and crosses)
- hangman
- battleships

If they were written in a properly object-oriented way, they would be a useful exercise. Ideally the UI would be decoupled from the game logic so it could be coded initially as a console application but then converted, if desired, to use a GUI toolkit.

Or are looking for something more involved, more graphical, more interactive, ... ? Like Snake, Pong, Lunar Lander, or Asteroids? Or something that bit more involved?? (Pac-Man?)

Andy

PS All these games have been discussed here on cplusplus.com in case you need inspiration (the number is the hits when you search this site):

snake 419
hangman 423
tic tac toe 1190
pacman 132
battleship(s) 196 + 53
Lunar Lander 3
Pong 286
Asteroids 141
Pacman 159

Last edited on
I tried to make a turn based fighting game, imagine the Pokemon battle scenes(never played them myself) not only is it good for practicing c++, but also learning how to balance things and plan ahead. And they fit well in a console and you can then move them to graphics later.
Tetris
Breakout
Pacman
Guessing Game
Pocker
Monopoly(Very Hard)
A great intermediate project is a sudoku solver. Read about some of the algorithms and implement each of them.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.