Making GUI programs with SFML

Is it a good idea to use SFML to make GUI programs?

Would displaying image buttons with SFML slower than other GUI libraries such as Qt, wx, gltk etc.? How does these libraries display buttons? are they image files or are they just OpenGL stuffs?
I thought you might be on the wrong forum, initially, because Im fairly new to programming and had never even heard of SFML. So, I searched the in the above search box. Although I was made aware that that yes its possible to use with C++, you may want to search for what you find on it in the forums. Now note I know little about this topic but all I found were complaints about how many problems people were having. I know nothing about this, I just see a bunch of people complaining as sign to step back and take another look at what Im thinking of doing.
I have used SFML for a couple of years now and it has been a good library for me. However, I don't really understand your question SFML does not have gui capabilities. You could write your own gui with SFML in fact such a library exists called SFGUI.

Would displaying image buttons with SFML slower than other GUI libraries such as Qt, wx, gltk etc.?

SFML is not a gui library so comparing it to Qt, and wx doesn't make sense.

How does these libraries display buttons?

SFML doesn't have buttons. You can create your own button class if you want however.

SFML is geared towards making video games not gui programs.
Last edited on
@Aim4Erudite that's because the main reason people post about SFML on here is when they haven't got it working, so of course it's going to seem negatively biased.
@Yanson it is regularly said by the SFMl devs that SFML is designed to be able to do anything. Yes many people use it for video games, but it is perfectly possible to make a GUI with it, and relatively simple if you're not going overboard with functionality. Making a few different button classes is easy if you're comfortable using SFML.
@yj1214 if you make a wrapper around a few textures and give it a couple of methods so that it acts like a button it will work perfectly fine as a button. Most of those libraries probably use OS specific functions for creating and drawing buttons, and the OS is basically just creating an image where it monitors if you click on it, something that is very easy to do with SFML.
Makes sense shadowmouse, thanks.
it is regularly said by the SFMl devs that SFML is designed to be able to do anything. Yes many people use it for video games, but it is perfectly possible to make a GUI with it, and relatively simple if you're not going overboard with functionality. Making a few different button classes is easy if you're comfortable using SFML.

yes and if you had read my post you would see that I already said that. I have made buttons and scrollbars with SFML. I didn't say it couldn't be done. I only said it isn't geared towards this type of program, while qt and wx are.
Last edited on
I did read your post,
SFML is geared towards making video games not gui programs
. Even if this does not rule out SFML being able to make gui, it implies that it will be difficult and that is what I was disagreeing with.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.