Variable Creation During Runtime

Aao!!

I'll start off by saying that I want to create an operating system. Now, I won't go into how I started wondering about this but say I wanted to create a directory explorer, much like Windows Explorer in which you explore through your files. I wondered what happens when a user is in the OS and tries to create, for instance, a new folder. A very long winded way would be to create all the variables to hold all the folders the user could ever want. Or, as the title suggests, when they choose to create a new folder, the information about the new folders gets put into a variable that gets created when the user clicks New Folder.

There has already been at least one discussion on this:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/13240/

I can see where these guys are coming from, but if this is not possible then how do directory explorers work? How are new folder objects created? Where is the new information stored? I'm sorry that I had to pick such a big, complex subject but I would like people to explain to me in dummy talk instead of having to pick apart a Linux directory explorer.

Thanks in advance,
DreddTrekkiter
well an os does not only use a single language , and you should know that file handling is pretty easy using cmd and batch files . But still you can do it in c or c++.
Start by looking at batch file creating directory and file and copy or move a file , etc.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.