Ray Tracing - Finding the Normal of an OBB (Oriented Bounding Box)

Hello Everyone.

I've been taking a 3D programming class for a while now ,and our first assignment was ray tracing. TO cut it short, Im done with all of the assignment, I only need to be able to find the normal of the OBB, So I can shade it, and since Ive never worked with an OBB before, Im having trouble doing so. Here is my Ray tracing code for the OBB:

void TOBB::test(Ray& ray, HitData& hit)
{
	float tMin = -INFINITY;
	float tMax = +INFINITY;

Vec p = Bcenter - ray.o; // Bcenter is the center of the OBB. Ray.o is the origin of the ray.
	Vec arr[3] = { Bu,Bv,Bw }; // Direction/base vectors. (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)

for (auto& i : arr)
	{
		float e = i.Dot(p);
		float f = i.Dot(ray.d);

float q = -e - halfBu; // The distance between the center and each side. 100.
		float w = -e + halfBu;

if (abs(f) > 1e-20f)
		{
			float t1 = ((e + halfBu) / f);
			float t2 = ((e - halfBu) / f);

if (t1 > t2) { std::swap(t1, t2); }
			if (t1 > tMin) { tMin = t1; }
			if (t2 < tMax) { tMax = t2; }

if (tMin > tMax) { return; }
			if (tMax < 0) { return; }
		}
		else if (q > 0 || w < 0) { return; }
	}
	if (tMin > 0)
	{
		if (hit.t == -1)
		{
			hit.t = tMin;
			hit.lastShape = this;
		}
		else if (tMin < hit.t)
		{
			hit.t = tMin;
			hit.lastShape = this;
		}
	}
	else if (tMax <= 0)
	{
		if (hit.t == -1)
		{
			hit.t = tMax;
			hit.lastShape = this;
		}
		else if (tMax < hit.t)
		{
			hit.t = tMax;
			hit.lastShape = this;
		}
	}
}

I got this tip from the profesor but I didnt quite understand how to implement it.

lets say you have a hit point H, and you don't know in which face is.
You can compute one point S for each of the six faces using: center +- (vector*halfDist)

What would be dot (H-S , NormalFace) if H and S belong to the same face ?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited on
Any vector in a plane is perpendicular to the normal to that plane. If you are given NormalFace, the vector to some face i, and Si is a point on that face, then dot(H-Si, NormalFace) is 0 if the point is in the plane, and it is not 0, otherwise.
The main problem that I had with his tip is that I couldn't understand what he meant by NormalFace.

Edit: Solved it, thanks.
Last edited on
Could you explain how you solved it? Would be greatly appreciated!

Kinda get it, but are getting weird results, were one side is correct but the other ones ain't.
Last edited on
Im assuming you go to BTH as well right?

You have 6 normal faces. The 3 provided base vectors, and their inverse, meaning: * -1.

So if you have a basevector Bu = (1,0,0), you would have another vector that is (-1,0,0).

Using these 6 normal faces, you can get a point on each side of the OBB using this formula.

center + (normalFace * theHalfDistance )

Now you have 6 normal faces. And 6 points on each side.

Now you use dot(H-S, NormalFace), if H and S is on the same side, you would get a float that is not exactly 0, but very close to 0.

Here is why: if H and S are two points on a side, H-S would be a vector between them, that is on the side. normalFace would be the normal vector sticking out of the OBB. The angle between these 2 vectors would then be 90 degrees and the dot product would be very close to 0.

Assumptions might be correct!

Ah, it was the "close to 0" that got me, was checking == 0! Thanks, saved me alot of pondering!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.