C++ vs C++/CLI

hey guys, i am wondering where to focus, C++ or C++/CLI. my goal in learning how to program is to make games (2d first then maybe 3d later). i am currently reading a book by Ivor Horton "Beginning Visual C++ 2008".

this book discusses both C++ and C++/CLI. can you please share your opinion, preferably your experience and recommendations.

thanks
Last edited on
C++ is far better than C++/CLI.
C++/CLI is just C# with a different syntax.
Can you clarify that statement?
If in doubt, c++ ftw.
Besides any msft-only standard is limited by msft's design team and OS. Stick to C++ and you'll have a platform independent standard library.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I personally see no reason to use C++/CLI. If you were to use it, you might as well use C# (unless your really desperate for C++ syntax although C# is learnable). I hate all .NET languages so that's as far as I'll go with this convo.
If you're looking at developing games then stick to unmanaged pure C++. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with C++/CLI although I agree with others comments... if you're thinking about using it you might as well use C#. I hear C++/CLI cannot achieve the performance unmanaged C++ can and there are no AAA games that I'm aware of that were developed in C++/CLI.
alrighty guys, thanks for your reply.. maybe i'll give C# a try after C++. i have knowledge in java and i've seen C# codes, i think C# copied java.. well that's just my opinion
.... A language can have the exact same syntax as a language and still be different. No one would complain if they did look similar.
However, this is not the case. C# is a Java ripoff.
So your saying that C# has the exact same syntax as Java and does the exact same thing as Java? Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to call C# a ripoff. Even if they have exact same syntax, there is no reason to call it a ripoff since syntax is actually defined by the public and what's common now adays. I could make an interpreted language that had the same syntax as C but it would clearly NOT be a ripoff since what it does internally would be completely different.

SIDENOTE: Now what the hell. You have me defending C#. STOP IT DAMNIT!
Last edited on
X doesn't have to be EXACTLY like Y to be considered a ripoff. For example, Robowar is a ripoff of Predator, even though one is about a group of soldiers being stalked by an alien in the jungle, and the other is about a group of soldiers being stalked by a robot in the jungle.
If C# was indistinguishable from Java to the user, it wouldn't be a ripoff. It would be an implementation of Java. The trick is to provide the same functionality to grab a portion of the market, while at the same time being different enough to be incompatible in order to secure that portion, since a project written in one can't easily switch to the other.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.