int getSize();
	int getVal(NodeType *&temp);
	int getDoctorID(Patient *&temp);
	string getFirst(Patient *&temp);
	string getLast(Patient *&temp);
	void writeFile();
	~Patient();
};

As you can see, this object contains 4 values I would like to be written onto a binary file

The normal method I use to write to a binary file is this:

void File::writeBinary(string name)
{
	ofstream b(name, ios::out | ios::binary);
	b.write((char*)&x, sizeof(x));
	b.write((char*)&y, sizeof(y));
	b.close();
}

However, does this method work with writing a whole object?

Is there a way I could just write this whole object Patient, for example Patient One(); onto a binary file?
When you say "binary file", do you mean an executable file or do you just want the stream operating in binary mode?
However, does this method work with writing a whole object?

No, because you have some non-trivial classes in your class you can't write the whole object at once.
A binary file as in a file that has the extension ".bin"

What does non-trivial classes mean?

So then how would you write an object to a binary file?
See for example Google's protobuf, or Apache Avro.
Unfortunately, there are no simple, general solutions.
Haha what!! I'm in an intermediate c++ class in uni and one of my assignments is to write a similar object into a binary file and we didnt learn google protobuf or apache avro, is there really simple solution to this problem?
What does non-trivial classes mean?

Usually this means classes that have pointer data members. In your case you nave a NodeType* and a couple of std::strings.

You'll need to write out each individual member. For members like std::string you'll probably need to first write the size of the string then write the string using the c_str() member function. You'll have to decide what you want to do with that NodeType pointer.

Ah I see, so I should create "get" functions to retrieve the values and then write them onto the binary file as individual values correct?
If you're going the object route, it would be better to add a function to the class such that it writes itself to file. Nice and neat and self-contained.
Yeah I understand that

So if i create a member function to write the object into the file, how do I do that??

Can I just write directly the attributes of the object into the binary file? Or do I write the whole OBJECT into the file?
Either approach could be made to work but writing only the attributes into a standardized format in discrete values is usually neater. It also makes for easier debugging if the raw data is in a format that you can read.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.