virtual function being called instead of implementation

so i am making a chess board .
non gui , just the logic.
I have a mother class called piece , and the sub classes (rook ,queen...)which inherit from it.
the board is an 8x8 vector of type piece. in the mother class i have a virtual function called checkLegality which is implemented differently in all classes . the problem i have is that , when i try to call check legality , the virtual version gets called
here is the code.
piece class (mother)
class piece
{
private :
    bool alive   ;
public :

type pType ;
    color Color  ;
    int xCoor ;
    int yCoor ;
piece ()

{

alive = true;
}

virtual bool checkLegality (int x , int y  , std::vector <std::vector <piece>> board  ) {};

bool isAlive ()
    {
        return alive;

}

void kill ()
    {
        alive = false;
    }

};

this is the implementation in rook class

bool checkLegality (int x , int y  , std::vector <std::vector <piece>> board  )
    {
        //rules

}

and here is where the function is called

void newMove (int x , int y , type pieceType  , color pieceColor )
    {
        vector<piece*> potentialPieces ;
        findPotentials(pieceType ,pieceColor , potentialPieces );
         cout << potentialPieces.size()<< potentialPieces[0]->Color <<potentialPieces[0]->pType<< "\n";

for (int i = 0 ; i < potentialPieces.size() ;i++)
        {

if (potentialPieces[i]->checkLegality ( x , y , board ))
            {
                board [potentialPieces[i]->yCoor] [potentialPieces[i]->xCoor] .kill();
                potentialPieces[i]->xCoor = x ;
                potentialPieces[i]->yCoor = y ;

board [potentialPieces[i]->yCoor] [potentialPieces[i]->xCoor] = *potentialPieces[i];

}
        }
    }
Last edited on
It all depends on what potentialPieces contains. If they're all piece* then piece::checkLegality will be called.
well in the case i have , it should contain a rook, and when i call potentialPieces[0]->pType , it gives the value of a rook . but piece::checkLegality is called anyway .
Last edited on
I know what you're saying, but you may have coded something else. That's usually the case.

You haven't shown the code that populate potentialPieces. I mentioned it in my previous post, hoping you'd post it, but you haven't.

The truth is, unless we see all the relevant code, we can't help.
Last edited on
virtual bool checkLegality (int x , int y , std::vector <std::vector <piece>> board ) {}

This concerns me. The board variable here can never hold any type other than piece. If newMove is operating on the same variable type, it will never deal with anything other than a piece, regardless of the type indicated by the pType member (and, I have to ask, if you're keeping track of the type already what's the point in the virtual function?)

this is the function that populates the pottential pieces vector
    void potentialPieces (type _pType , color _pColor , std::vector <piece*> &v  ){
   for(int i = 0 ; i < 8 ; i++)
        {

for(int j = 0 ; j < 8 ; j++)
            {
                if(board[i][j]->pType ==_pType &&board[i][j]->Color == _pColor)
                {

v.push_back(board[i][j]);

}

}

}
    }
Please address my last post. You seem to have multiple variables with the same name (board) and different types and it's rather confusing.

line 16 in the last snippet in the OP would seem to result in object slicing (if, indeed, there were any object other than a piece pointed to by the elements in potentialPieces.)
Last edited on
You shouldn't mix relying on inheritance mechanisms and using member data directly. It's a contradiction.

Anyway, you still haven't shown where those pointers are created. You don't seem to get that that is the key to determining how a virtual function call is determined.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.