How to create a Multi-User Program

I've taken a a couple basic classes in c++ and I was looking for a bit of a bigger project to test my skills. I had an idea for a program to help out in the office I work at. However I'm not entirely sure the specifics on how to do something like this or if its even possible and would appreciate some assistance with it.

The Problem: We have thousands of different folders and files going in, out, and moved around from person to person in the office constantly. We have the problem that a lot of the time we don't know where a folder is that someone needs and we end up wasting a lot of time searching for it.

My Solution: I would like to create a program that creates both a client and server side file. The server files will contain the list of all the files and their locations and a list of all the different users. The client files will be mostly for ease of use and will keep track of the last user selected on that computer and also contain a list of all owned files for that user which will appear on the side of the program. The server side file will be stored on a shared server that the whole office can access and the client side will be on each individual computer. The basis of the program is that you can search for a specific file, see who currently is holding it, check a box to show that you are currently holding it, or uncheck it to show you are putting it away in the file room. There are a few other additions I'd like to add, but I'd like to get the base of it done before I move onto them.

I've never attempted anything with a multi user program and I'm not even sure if it's possible with c++. I know SQL would probably be much better suited for this kind of task, but I want to make this a challenge for myself and use the language I already know. Any input would be appreciated.
First, you have to be aware that if anyone ever takes out a file without running the program properly, the entire system breaks.

Second, don't waste your company's money by spending time writing this. There are scores of inventory tracking programs available, many of them freeware.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.