Accessing Files from DLLs

I am creating some plugins/dlls that are processing data. The data usually resides in files. The idea is that the filename is passed to the dll which then opens the file and reads the data. However, for some reason it doesn't quite feel right that a dll is accessing files. Or is that just fine?

It's fine. It doesn't matter. Actually in Windows the only difference between DLLs and EXEs is that DLLs cannot run by themselves. EXEs can even be loaded like DLLs and any functions they export can be called.
helios, thanks! As for dll vs exe, I was just looking into this this week. I was able to create a console application (in Visual Studio) with some export functions which I then could load dynamically in a different program. However, when I created a dll project I was not able to get it to run as a console application (I played with entry points, etc). Do you know what the important settings are so that an "application" can be run both as a (console) application and dll?
Do you know what the important settings are so that an "application" can be run both as a (console) application and dll?
I don't understand your question.
I was able to create a console application (in Visual Studio) with some export functions which I then could load dynamically in a different program.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.