Good Books for a C++ Beginner

Hello, can anyone recommend a good book for learning C++. I understand the language is always changing and there is a lot of bad material out there. Does anyone know of any books that are current and represent good C++? I eventually want to get into 2D game development. I do have extensive experience with Python & Java so I'm not a total beginner. Thanks!
Look up SFML: sfml-dev.org

It's very easy to use, and it has bindings for many languages, including Python and Java: http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/bindings.php
Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language 4e. is an excellent resource for experienced (well, at least not beginner) programmers.

Stroustrup was the original designer of C++, so he knows what he's talking about.
Last edited on
If you have experience with Java and Python then you shouldn't have too much trouble with C++. To learn C++ just look at the tutorials on this site and learncpp.com

Then install SFML or SDL (there is also Allegro) and start Googling for tutorials on SDL or SFML. A decent site for SDL is lazyfoo.net

If you are financially stable and able to afford books then I recommend C++ Primer (not to be confused with C++ Primer Plus) or Programming Principles and Practice Using C++. Get The C++ Programming Language to use purely as a reference book.

Then you can get SFML Game Development or SDL Game Development to learn 2D game development.

Ignore gentleguy he is a self proclaimed beginner who admitted to lying to another user to seem more experienced in order to be taken serious. It has had the opposite effect. Now we have to point it out so you don't get stuck learning from the wrong person.
Last edited on
Thanks for the info. In terms of SFML, SDL, and Allegro which would you say is the most supported/robust/has the best community? Perhaps I will finish the tutorial on this website (almost done) and learn as I go along developing a simple game.
A few years ago I would have recommended Allegro, but in recent years they have all three grown into robust libraries. I recommend SFML though as it is written in C++, easy to build, and has documentation, examples, and a community around it. Allegro does too, but for a beginner building it, it can be a hassle to build due to random errors that spring up.
I would second what BHX said. SFML is easier, in my opinion, to learn, and has great documentation. It being written in C++ is a big plus for me. If you're using any popular compiler, the SFML devs probably have binaries already built for it.
Like BHX said, the SFML community is also pretty active and helpful. SFML also makes it pretty easy to mix raw OpenGL alongside it without having to do a bunch of complicated setups.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.