Calculate the inverse of a 4x4 matrix - Why is this code not working?

Hello, I am trying to calculate the inverse of a 4x4, I have been thinking about it endlessly yet I can't seem to be able to do it. So I was wondering, how would you calculate the inverse of a 4x4 in C++?

EDIT: I'm trying to make this calculate the determinant of a 4x4, how can I do it? Currently this only calculate the determinant of a 3x3
 for(i=0;i<3;i++)
 {
  determinant = determinant + (a[0][i]*(a[1][(i+1)%3]*
  a[2][(i+2)%3] - a[1][(i+2)%3]*a[2][(i+1)%3]));
 }
Last edited on
Sorry to be rude, but if you bash people who give help on this forum, you are unlikely to get any help with your question.
Two common ways of evaluating a determinant are:
- recursively (i.e. expand a 4x4 determinant in terms of 3x3 ones etc.)
- sequence of row operations to reduce to upper (or lower) triangular, then just multiply the elements on the diagonal.

I tend to prefer the latter.
Thank you lastchance.

Orange, stop siding with UK Marine.
Although the inverse of a matrix can be written down in terms of determinants, if you are ultimately after that inverse, rather than determinants per se, it is probably quickest to use the Gauss-Jordan method (with sequences of row operations); see:
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-inverse-row-operations-gauss-jordan.html

It works for any size matrix and for large matrices will be considerably more efficient than working out a lot of determinants and cofactors.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.