I'm behind and need IMMEDIATE help

So I'm at a loss for my current assignment. I've missed some classes and so I've lost my knowledge on how to go about it but basically the problem is this.

Create a base class Music, a class Genre derived from Music, and a class Performer derived from Genre. Class Music only has a string title, Genre adds string type and Performer has string name.
Interview the user for their favorite artist, their genre and title of the music they like best. Then call a Performer class display function that shows all the information. Inheritance must be used.

I'm not sure how to even start this as I said I am behind and have forgotten a lot. If I could get help on even just a dummy way to make the class and then call it for the interview I would be greatful
You could create the classes like this:
class Music
{
  string title;
};

class Genre : public Music
{
  string type;
};

class Performer : public Genre
{
public:
  void display();
  string name;
};

How shall they be used? Passing the data in the constructor or defining setters and getters?
Sorry I've lost my knowledge of much of the vocab as well so I'm not sure what you mean. Basically I want to have it so that it asks the genre and music individually and asks the user for the input instead of a pre created lists. Not sure if that answered your question or not.
So here is what I have for the main function of these classes.
int main()
{
    Genre("What is your favorite genre of music?");
cout<<endl;
    Music("Who is your favorite musician in that genre?");
cout<<endl;
    Performer.display();

return 0;
}

I am not sure how to call classes or display them or anything, someone please help.
You don't "call" classes: classes only describe things - e.g., class Genre only describes what a Genre is. It's the job of an object or instance of class Genre which represents a particular Genre, for example, an instance of Genre named rock should represent specifically Rock and Roll.

the interview...

If you're going to be discussing the problem, I would consider mentioning that the problem specification implies that a Performer is a Genre (inheritance implies that a subclass is-a base class.) This is nonsense at worst, or at least counter-intuitive.

Slightly more in-depth:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/213266/#msg995536
Also, the tutorial:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/structures/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/classes/

Last edited on
A quick implementation on how to use the classes.
class Music
{
public:
  Music(string title)
  {
    this->title = title;
  }
  string getTitle() {return title;}
private:
  string title;
};

class Genre : public Music
{
public:
  Genre(string type, string title): Music(title)
  {
    this->type = type;
  }
  string getType() {return type;}
private:
  string type;
};

class Performer : public Genre
{
public:
  Performer(string name, string type, string title):Genre(type, title)
  {
    this->name = name;
  }
  void display()
  {
    cout << "Performer info" << "\n\nTitle: " << getTitle()
         << "\nGenre: " << getType()
         << "\nName: " << name << "\n\n";
  }
private:
  string name;
};

int main()
{
  Performer p("Some Name", "Some type", "Some title");
  p.display();
  system("pause");
  return 0; 
}
what does the
system("pause");
part mean as I'm not sure how to implement it. Also how do I use the class in a way that it asks the user for the title and genre? Would it be a simple cin or something else?
welp pause wasn't needed. Anyway I figured it out thanks a bunch.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.