Building error in visual studio

I am a beginner/intermediate programmer and am getting this error when I try to build my code :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(877,5): error MSB3191: 
Unable to create directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\visual projects\glowing\glowing\glow\Debug\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\LIB". The given path's format is not supported.

I have tried many different solutions, and nothing has changed the output.
Please help!
Last edited on
A colon is not valid in a path name except as the second character in the leading drive designation (as in "C:").

I'm not sure how you got the DirectX SDK path appended to your program's debug path. The simplest fix might be to just create a new project, then copy the file(s) you created into the new project.

Hope this helps.
@Duthomhas
thanks for the suggestion
just created a new project, added all of my headers and source to it and pushed build and got the same error :

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(877,5): error MSB3191: Unable to create directory "C:\Users\Luke's computer\source\repos\Project6\Project6\Debug\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\LIB". The given path's format is not supported.

please if anybody has anymore suggestions I am willing to do anything (not harmful to my os)

Last edited on
Does it compile in "Release" mode?
What looks strange to me is:

...\Project6\Project6\Debug\C:\Program Files...
                           ^^^

@jlb
Yes, that is exactly the problem. The trick is to narrow down where the error is coming from.
thank you so much everybody.
narrowed down the problem - my browse information file directory was not separated with a ;
$(IntDir);$(DXSDK_DIR)LIB\x86 is how it is now and it works fine.
the only problem is that it doesn't apply to every project automatically so if anybody can help me with that please. I started on code::blocks but ran into problems there so I moved to VS. don't quite know the layout
Since VS 2010 MS has moved global project options in an effort to keep people from abusing them. (It has been a known problem with corporate build environments.)

From the IDE View menu, select Property Manager.
This produces a new tab along the bottom of the Solution Explorer (the leftmost pane).

Open any C or C++ project.
(You must have an open project to access the global options. The project itself will not be otherwise modified.)

Now in the Property Manager you have a list of Build Types.
Choose your “Debug | Win32” or “Debug | x64” (whichever one you are trying to compile).
The very first item will be the global properties sheet XML, named something like “Microsoft.Cpp.~.user”.
Right click and select Properties.

You should see the familiar properties dialog. Fix directories there. Apply.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.