Can't code without admin access

I work with computers my entire shift and sometimes there are hours that go on without anything to do. At work I can't do any programming via a IDE, because they haven't downloaded any kind of compiler for C++ and they don't allow me to compile without admin access (I also can't download anything), to do any kind of coding I have to use onlinegdb.com which is just a basic C++ compiler through the web, (Like shell.cpp). I have tried everything from loading IDE's and Library's but haven't had much luck. I'm not trying to breach past admin access I'm just trying to be able to use my libraries like Qt and OpenGL while at work so I can practice as much as possible as I do self study and this is just work to pay the bills. I got a USB drive with a PHP (local) server running last year and I could compile minimalistic C++ programs but one of the managers found out I was using a USB to run programs without admin access and ever since I haven't been able to do even that. Anyways all I'm trying to accomplish here is to be able to compile QT or OpenGL programs. It seems running things from a USB is my best bet please help!
are you not allowed to take your own computer to work?
so that while you're not doing any work you would use it.

how about online virtual machine?
the good ones comes with subscriptions but if you can afford. why not
Ive tried that but when I connect the the ssl.local host it gives me the same issues Im guessing that changing devices doesn't matter, for example it wont even let me use my VPN on my phone because the wifi is disabling me, and no I'm a receptionist so I use a local machine that gets monitored by a third party company. Therefore I feel like a virtual machine wont work because Im still using the same network, I can probably give that a try though but to pay for one and it not to work.. meh. If it helps I have access to the server room? Lmao, no I'm kidding though I really don't wanna do anything illegal Im just trying to code :p (Also I considered getting a USB network stick but that's pretty expensive just to program while at work.)
Last edited on
If you're bringing your laptop you don't really need the local network for much. Install the IDE at home and bring it installed. If you need to look something up online you can just use USB tethering with your phone (assuming you have a mobile data plan).
I think thats a good idea, good point as well I guess I can go without downloading for my shift until I get home to download, I will just use a free VM on a usb to host my programs and libraries and use the local network for surfing. Thanks Helios and rapanomalous!
Last edited on
This sounds very much to me like you are not doing your job. If you have hours of thumb twiddling time, you need to address the issue with your manager, who is the one responsible for keeping you busy/gainfully employed.

You also have indicated that the company has already clamped down on several of your efforts around your lockout, and even though you don't seem to think it is an issue, they clearly do. By continuing to try to find a way to do something they clearly don't want you to do, you are just asking for termination.

Speak to your manager, inform him that you have completed your duties and find yourself looking for work to do. Ask him what you can do.

Beware, it might be a good idea to have some ideas about what you can do for the company in your downtime, and suggest them. A proactive effort to be profitable to the company is better than a "tell me what I can do because I'm bored" meeting, which may backfire enough to get you terminated.

The other option is to suck it up and be bored.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.